cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-Disk is not taking more than 4 GB

Alaa_Al-Ankar
Level 2
Dear Forum Team,

we purchased Backup Exec V 10 with open files and SQL Agent, and we installed it properly based on the document provided with the CD. now, i started to test the backup process on our data and files, and i faced a lot of issues. we don't have tape backup and i started taking the backup on local H.D.D on the server it self. and here is a brief description of the problem:

When we first implemented the veritas we configured the appropriate options to backup all our servers. The backup to disk operation was assigned a size of 60 gb . When the backup started it stopped after it had backed up 8 gb of data to the server . It gave us an error message saying end of media has been reached . we tried all ways to get the backup going on but failed to do so because it was either backing up 8 gb or 4 gb or 2 gb and then it was giving us an error . I've searched through the veritas help files and it says the the B2D can go up to 4 gb max. Now another article says that the B2D can go up to 16 tb on NTFS partitions . I would like to know the cause of this problem and would really appreciate it if you could find us a solution as soon as possible .

Thank You

Alaa Al-Ankar
Arabesque Group
3 REPLIES 3

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Is the local HDD formatted with NTFS or FAT ?

The backup size on a backup to disk folder can grow upto the size of the Drive on which the backup to disk folder is created.(For example, if the Drive is of 40 GB then you can backup data equivalent to 40 GB ) (provided the disk partition is formatted with NTFS.)

Also refer this technote
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272517.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Alaa_Al-Ankar
Level 2
Yes it is formated as NTFS and has 80 GB fress Space

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Was the technote sent earlier useful? Let us know the update.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.