Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk to Tape with Full and Differential Backup

AndreasMaier
Level 0

Hi everybody,

although searching a lot i was unable to find a solution for my problem:

We have one customer who uses Backup Exec 15 Media Server on a dedicated hardware with Windows Server 2012 R2. We backup 2 hyper-v-servers (also Windows Server 2012 R2) to a NAS attached via iscsi to the Media Server.

On Saturday, a full backup of each virtual server is running, on weekdays a differntial backup. Target is always the backup2disk folder on the NAS. 

Additionally, every weekday (within working hours) the full and the latest differential backup should be duplicated to tape which is changed every weekday..

Is it possible to configure that within one job? I tried, but as far as I can see, every weekday only the differntial backups are duplicated to tape

Thanks,

Andreas

1 REPLY 1

Moopere-P
Level 3

I used to have a job at one site which, with some effort and restrictions, forced a duplicate to tape of the latest full and the last differential.  Seemed to work and I didn't notice for some time that in fact what appeared to be happening was that the duplicate full seemed to copy to tape not only the full but also the last differential as part of the same task ... then I'd copy the last differential again (!!).  I bumped into this looking at the backup sets and wondering why I had so many diffs on the tape :)

Shorter story, which might help you is that I beleive duplicating the last full to tape will also, by default, copy the last diff as well.  Give it a try and see what happens, its what I do now and it appears to be working.  As always, do a restore as well to check that the diff files are really coming across.