cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to NAS Disk | Exchange 2007 | GRT |

Wit01
Level 3

Good morning,

Due to an increase of our backups, we implemented a 2 TB NAS box on our network.
It is a Buffalo LinkStation WTGL

Since implementing this, our backups have failed with the following error:
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The follo...

We then have duplicate to tape, so I am not sure whether these are going through OK or not.

Although it looks like it's backed up everything (due to the size), if I try to restore from that backup, it does not display the Exchange Database, only Logs.

I have searched high and low on the web, and even the KB that says this was fixed in a hotfix.  Unfortunately not.

I do not want to turn GRT off as it's a pain having to restore a whole database just to retrieve one email (and yes, I have a high retention set in Exchange)

Can anyone shed any light on this, and advise best course of action.

Kind Regards
Luke

16 REPLIES 16

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Do you have the Backup Exec software updated with all the patches and hotfixes. Use liveupdate to make sure all the patches are applied and then update the remote agent too by push installing the agent. This was an issue, which has been fixed with hotfix. Please check following document for reference:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/305877

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Wit01
Level 3
It is all upto date with Liveupdate.

The only thing I haven't done is push the agent to the Exchange server again.  I will give that a go now, backup is set for tonight so I will update over the weekend.

Wit01
Level 3
I've now hit another stumbling block.

From the media server, if I try to push the agent to my Exchange server, it tells me the current agent is out of date and needs 12 updates applied.  I click Yes to update.

It copies over, then fails installing:
"The current user does not have write access to
C:\Windows\Installer
C:\Program Files"
"The install could not verity that the user had righrs to the required install folders"

The Exchange server is Server 2008 (x64)

If I manually uninstall the agent on the server, then browse to the Media Server for BE and install from there, it installs fine, but doesn't apply the updates.

I can't find anything on Symantec KB about this error, but a few people have mentioned it in the forums with no response.

Kind Regards
Luke

joydeepdutt
Level 4
Hi

Doc Id : http://support.veritas.com/docs/305877   should help to resovle the issue

Secondly 
Considering that your media server is fully patched  ----Steps to be done On the exchange server -- manually uninstall the remote  agent RAWS
then browse to the Media Server for BE and install from there ( C: prog files\symantec\backupexec\Agents\ RAWs 64 (copy folder for raws 64 bit & paste it on c drive of exchange  server
RESTART RAWS  service

now on exhcange server :  C: prog files\symantec\backupexec\RAWs --look out for BEREMOTE.exe (right click -properties --check VERSION of this file )
Compare the version of this file with BEREMOTE .exe file present on media server
if both are equally patched then all is set/updated.

Backup Exec 12.0 for Windows Servers revision 1364 Hotfix 313901
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/313901

Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers revision 2213 Service Pack 2
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/324918

Wit01
Level 3
They are out of sync following your instructions.

Media Server = 12.5.2213.144
RAWS on Exchange and other servers = 12.5.2213.0

I've just tried pushing out to the other servers (all on 32bit Server 2003) and they fail as well.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
What's the result of local install there? Does it fail too? Can you check bkupinst.htm file on the target server after trying a local install there? It should be located in c:\documents .. settings\all users\application data\symantec\backup exec\logs..  See if you can find some errors there.

Thanks

Wit01
Level 3
No, oddly local doesn't fail on any of the servers (2008 or 2003).  They install fine (copying the relevant folder from the Media Server).

The issue is they aren't the same version as the BERemote.exe on the Media Server.

Is there a way to manually "patch" the remote servers?

Colin_Weaver
When you do your local install are you running Setup.exe or setupaa.cmd - as I belive setupaa.cmd does apply the patches as long as you are running from a copy of the agent folder from a patched media server

Wit01
Level 3
hi Colin - Thanks :)

That's the one, I needed to run the batch file instead of the executable.

BERemote now states it's 12.5..2213.144

Much appriciated, hopefully tonight it doesn't error!

Wit01
Level 3
Still Erroring with the same error, even though the BERemote is up to date.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

What kind of backup you are running, only full with GRT enabled?

Wit01
Level 3
Hi JT_T, Yes that is correct.

I know I can turn GRT off, but when you need to restore one or two emails outside of the Exchange retention period, restoring the whole store just to recover a couple of emails is a pain!

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
Yea, been there, done that i could say:)

Just wanted to check that you're not running unsupported differential backups with GRT enabled (Exchange backups only support full and incremental GRT).

What's hte size of your databases, they are very large ones? I've seen similar problems but there's been so many different problems, cannot really say what to do with information we have now.
Could you run backup with SGMon monitoring enabled? http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329711.htm

When looking that picture you see on support article, you might want to uncheck;
-Catalog
-storeX

And when capturing to log file, note that it might grow to quite big.

Of course situations like this, it would be best to open the support case for Symantec, if you have valid support for BE.

Wit01
Level 3
Support expired a couple of months back!!

The annoying thing is it's only NAS.  I had an old PC with 2 x 1TB drives in it on our network and that would work fine.  I decided to bin it off and replace with this NAS (mainly for the price) but its failed since then.

Looks like I'm going to have to bring the PC back from the dead, or at least use another one.  Slightly annoying to say the least.

Actually looking to move away from BE in our global sites and have a single disaster recovery solution, although that's not until next year.  Need to figure this one out in the interim, as it seems I can't restore anything Exchange related from the backup since this problem; even the duplicate to tape doesn't show a restore for mailboxes or the database.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
I really cannot give you detailed explanation why NAS wont always work with Exchange GRT backups.

It might or might not have something to do with NAS device itself, there's been situations when there's been plenty of Exchange transaction log files, BE backup those to device which sees files as open files, and due to limitations of device, cannot handle them. Example, i once banged my head with Datadomain's enterprise class device, solution found but it was kind of weird; http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303608.htm

If you have multiple storage groups on Exchange, could you try one more time to run backup of one SG at time? I know that it's not a best practise, but might see if NAS device/BE get stucked somehow.

Wit01
Level 3

Only got the one storage group.

No worries, thanks for the help.  In the short term I'm backing up to a server (part of the backed up servers....), then have a task to copy this to the NAS box overnight, and to delete the one on the server.

PITA, but workable and no errors.