cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to NAS device - does it require Virtual disk license?

CWTokyo
Level 4

Hello,

My company is looking at buying BE 2012 and a NAS for a backup solution rather than an LTO-tape system.

We were told that for BE 2012 to backup to a NAS device that we need to use a virtual tape drive and license since BE normally backs up to tape devices. 

The NAS would be the target location for backups, NOT what we'd backup. 

Is this how it's done or is there any other way? The license fees for a virtual drive to a NAS were pretty steep so it made us wait on our purchase. 

I saw this link but it's referring to SAN units. What we have is much smaller scale:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH36022

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backing up to NAS would not require any specific license from a BE perspective. A VTL license is required only if you aare backing up to a VTL & this doesnt seem to be applicable here

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. You don't need any further licence to backup to a NAS.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is the NAS does iSCSI, consider using this to present disk to your media server. It's going to get around a number of issues with authentication that you might face.

And no, you don't need any extra licenses backing up TO a NAS.

Thanks!

CWTokyo
Level 4

Thanks to both of you for your feedback. That takes a load off of our minds.

When would you use a virtual disk? 

And I've never used BE to backup to a NAS, only to tape drives. How do I select the backup destination? The NAS gets mapped a drive letter, right? Do I backup directly to that drive letter and then a path, i.e. N:\backup\monthly or something?

Thank you for any additional feedback you could offer.

CWT