cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to NAS on different network segment as SBE server?

bala_nemate1
Level 2

Hi ALL.

My SBE 2015 (10.1.202.24) server and NAS (10.1.202.27) to witch backups are done are on one network segment (10.1.202.0/24)

I'm backuping server (S1) on other network (10.1.102.9). 

My NAS has two NIC - one for 10.1.202.0 network and other NIC i connected directly to my S1 machine and configured this connection as separate network segment (172.16.16.0/24).

So, my NAS is visible to SBE server as 10.1.202.27 and to my S1 machine as 172.16.16.51. NAS is not accesible from S1 machine as 10.1.202.27

All this was done to remove traffic from firewall between 10.1.102.0/24 and 10.1.202.0/24 networks.

Problem is, backups for S1 machine is not taken directly to local attached NAS (172.16.16.51), but they are done via SBE server (10.1.202.24)

Is it possible to backup S1 directly to NAS?

To make things more clear, i draw a network/data diagram. Sorry, I have no Visio...

BR
BN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The main rare configurations referred to by pkh are

1) NDMP Option (needs specific NAS hardware and really should only be used with certain data types and is usually used where a tape library can be attached to the NAS.)

2) RMALS (used  to backup Linux data where Library is attached directly to the Linux host)

3) Deduplication with OST hardware (OK this does appear to only use the Agent for Windows when configured with direct access/client side - but in reality also uses OST plugins and OST specific storage hardware and needs a Deduplication Option License)

All of these in their own way have some form of direct storage device management, an agent for Windows on it's own does not.

Note: SAN SSO is not one of the rare configurations referred to by pkh, as this would make your data owning server become a Backup Exec Server and therefore data would still be flowing to/through the Backup Exec Server (it is just the server would be local to the data so still using network processes but not really using the network itself)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver

You would have to make S1 a Backup Exec Server as well to do that (and setup a separate share on the NAS for it to write to.

bala_nemate1
Level 2

But in this case I would require separate license for it?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Except with rare configurations, in all backups, data flow from the remote server to the BE server then to the media

Colin_Weaver

yes that would need a second licence for the extra Backup Exec server

Note: you need an agent for windows license to backup that remote server currenty anyway although this would need to be updated to a server license.

bala_nemate1
Level 2

could you provide more information about "rare configurations", please?

thanks,
bala nemate

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

This refers to SAN SSO (SAN Shared Storage Option) where any server connected to a SAN can be loaded with a full version of Backup Exec and any agents, and then back up to a SAN-attached and shared tape library.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

The main rare configurations referred to by pkh are

1) NDMP Option (needs specific NAS hardware and really should only be used with certain data types and is usually used where a tape library can be attached to the NAS.)

2) RMALS (used  to backup Linux data where Library is attached directly to the Linux host)

3) Deduplication with OST hardware (OK this does appear to only use the Agent for Windows when configured with direct access/client side - but in reality also uses OST plugins and OST specific storage hardware and needs a Deduplication Option License)

All of these in their own way have some form of direct storage device management, an agent for Windows on it's own does not.

Note: SAN SSO is not one of the rare configurations referred to by pkh, as this would make your data owning server become a Backup Exec Server and therefore data would still be flowing to/through the Backup Exec Server (it is just the server would be local to the data so still using network processes but not really using the network itself)