cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Tape

jessestaf
Level 3

I backup all my servers to a storage array.  I'm trying to back up those fiiles to tape however the job will only get so far and then fails saying "Corrupt data encountered" and misses most of what I need to put on tape.  Any recommendations to get this to stop so I can get all my backups on tape?  It's getting about 1.4 TB out of a total of 6 it should be getting.  This has been happening for over a month.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When "backing up" BKF files, you should not be doing a standard backup.  You should instead run a duplicate job to write them to tape.  The main advantage of this is that (with the exception of GRT data) you can restore directly from tape, rather than having to restore the BKF files, then inventorying them and possible re-cataloging them.

You can use a policy to do this immediately after the B2T completes, so that it is automatic.  Another advantage to this is that you don't need to manually manage your BKF files, just set the OPP to whatever you needs are (All B2D jobs should be overwrite only, never append)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is your B2D job completing successfully, and have you created a duplicate-to-tape job to run straight after the B2D completes?

Thanks!

jessestaf
Level 3

What is a duplicate to tape job?

jessestaf
Level 3

Wow, I never even saw that option before.  I feel like an idiot

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When "backing up" BKF files, you should not be doing a standard backup.  You should instead run a duplicate job to write them to tape.  The main advantage of this is that (with the exception of GRT data) you can restore directly from tape, rather than having to restore the BKF files, then inventorying them and possible re-cataloging them.

You can use a policy to do this immediately after the B2T completes, so that it is automatic.  Another advantage to this is that you don't need to manually manage your BKF files, just set the OPP to whatever you needs are (All B2D jobs should be overwrite only, never append)