cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to USB Drives fails - devices go OFF-LINE

BHallman
Not applicable
We are using Backup Exec 12.5 on a MS Server 2008 64-bit with Exchange 2007 and accessing USB 500 Gb backup drives connected to a MS Server 2003 32-bit server that also runs BEX 12.5.  The Server 2003 server daily writes successfully to the USB drives, but the Server 2008 server fails.  If I mark the device as ON-LINE and try to run any job (backup, inventory, scan, etc.) the USB drive device is immediately flagged as Off-Line.  At that point I can go to Windows Explorer and access the drive without problem.  The USB drives are shared with Full-Control rights granted.  I have tried both B2D devices and Removeable Media with the same results.  What can be done to make this work.  Thank you in advance for your response. 
2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Is there any events in the event log, when it goes offline? Have you tried stopping BE services on other BE server and then see if it goes offline ?
Thanks

Matt_Alexander
Level 5
You may want to refer to this KB article regarding using USB / Firewire HDDs with B2D Folders: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276904.htm

Also, have you looked into what Hemant Jain mentioned in the previous post?