cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to USB strategie

Darren_Zappa
Level 2
I need some advice as I'm new to veritas, This my scenario:
I have 5 external USB drives named Monday, Tuesday etc. and have made each drive into a removable backup to disk device and put them into a media set called USB BACKUP. I am backing up 3 servers a night into each USB drive so I have made a seperate backup job for each server for each USB drive for each day, that amount to 15 schedules jobs per week.

my questions are:

1. Is what I have setup correct?

2. Can I create Backup-to-Disk Folders within the removable Backup-to-Disk devices and point the backups to these? e.g.

Backup-to-Disk device - Monday

Backup-to-Disk Folder - server 1
Backup-to-Disk Folder - server 2
Backup-to-Disk Folder - server 3

Backup-to-Disk device - Tuesday

Backup-to-Disk Folder - server 1
Backup-to-Disk Folder - server 2
Backup-to-Disk Folder - server 3

3. Where do I put the Disaster recovery alernate data path for the Intelligent Disaster recovery?
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Documents:

Best Practices for using removable media and the "Backup to Disk" feature in Backup Exec for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/239539

How to create a new removable Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253764

Thank You.

Shweta

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Each USB drive HAS to be connected as the same drive letter every time that you connect it, and each must have it's OWN drive letter

Each drive should have a Backup2Disk on Removable Media folder defined on it.

Once that is set up, yes you can point your Monday job to the Monday drive, Tuesday job to the Tuesday drive etc.

You do not need to create a separate folder for each server. Think of the B2D folder as a tape drive and each BKF file as a tape volume. You can put as large a backup set on the drive as you wish, and can place as many backup sets in the folder as space permits.

Can't help you with the IDR question. IMNSHO that option is a piece of crap and I avoid it at all costs.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Darren,

Could you please update us...

Revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri