cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disk: Moved to tape by another application

Vince_Van
Level 2
After scanning this forum it seems I have inherited a unique backup situation.....

Overview:
There are several backup systems that run in the company.  All of them have their backup-to-disk files backed up by Legato Networker to a large robotic library.  The procedure is daily differentials and a full on Saturdays.  I didn't pick this method.

I have 4 exchange message stores that are backed up to backup-to-disk folders every night (Each store has it's own folder).  These are full backups and GRT is diabled.  I need to determine how to configure the B2D folders in a way so each daily backup produce it's own set of bkf files.

I was tasked with restoring some old mailboxes (which has proven difficult based on the current Media Set settings) using bkf files that were restored from tape but have been overwriiten in the catalog several times.  I set up a temporary restore server (to avoid polluting my current catalog) but it's disk space is limited.  I'd love a way to know which bkf files are required to restore the message store for a given day.

Is it as simple as setting the Media Set Overwrite Protection Period to 7 days?  What should the Append period be set to in this case?

This would be so much easier to do without Legato.....

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

VV
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'd set all my jobs to Overwrite and not worry about Append periods.

If you just need the dailies for a week, (that is, when this week's monday runs, you don't care about last week's monday data any more), then I'd set the OPP to 6 days( just in case the backup runs past midnight)

Also be sure from tools\media management  that overwrite protection is either full or partial and that you have selected "Use overwritable media in the target media set before scratch media"  But that still won't avoid the problems of having two sets of BKF files with the same name, but different creation dates and data.

If you could use BackupExec to do the D2T backups, you could just do a Duplicate Job, and the catalog would retain the info for data on the tapes, and you could restore directly from tape, rather than having to restore to disk,  inventory, catalog, restore

.Sounds like you are in a No-Win situation to me