cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk and replicate to tape using a single B2D folder - BE12

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi All,
I have not used backup to disk in BE12 before, we are just going straight to tape.. but due to the type of data we have (millions of small files and directories) this cant be read fast enough into the tape drive, and this causes abysmally slow backup speeds. I understand this is because the tape drive writes some data, then has to wait for more data to come from the disks, during which time it has to rewind the tape a bit and start writing again.. and repeats this process many times.

I have found that backup to disk seems to handle this data much faster because the target disks can write as slow or fast as the source can provide them. The tape unit can then backup the massive single backup file onto tape much faster since its a single file on disks that do nothing but backups (this was just testing with NT Backup but I assume that BE12 will offer roughly the same performance gains).

There is still a lot of data, so we have to back up some folders as separate jobs.

I would like to have a single B2D location which is overwritten after it is duplicated to tape by the next job if that is possible.

A backup job runs on Folder1 - this is a backup to disk job
A duplicate job runs to duplicate this disk job to tape

then..

A backup job runs on Folder2 - this is a backup to disk job that overwrites the last B2D job output
A duplicate job runs to duplicate this disk job to tape

etc..

Since the seperate volume I am going to use for B2D will not be large enough to hold all of the data I want to backup, I assume that as long as its big enough to backup any single folder that my idea will work.

Does this sound like a possible solution, or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to have a single B2D location which is overwritten after it is duplicated to tape by the next job if that is possible.
This is possible:
1  : Create a new B2D folder.
2  : Create a new Media Set named : B2D-duplicate (For Example)
3  : Set the Append Period to 1 day and Overwrite Protection Period to 0 hours.
4  : Create a Primary job targetting the NEW B2D folder and select the B2D-duplicate Media Set.
5  : Select "Overwtite" under the Devices Tab
5  : Create a Duplicate job to run as soon as the primary job on B2D is completed.

Next day the same B2D job will run and it will overwrite the B2D folder.

A backup job runs on Folder2 - this is a backup to disk job that overwrites the last B2D job output
We only require 1 B2D folder if we have only 1 job.

Create multiple B2D folders and assign the same Media Set in the job.

Hope this helps !!!

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi Dev,
Thanks very much for your prompt response, and I think I can see where it is going (but I will need to try it out first).

However my issue is that each job does not run daily because the data being backed up is just too much. So where you have said we only need one B2D folder if we only have one job is the part where I dont follow what you mean.

I take it that the append and overwrite periods will allow the Folder 2 job to overwrite the Folder 1 job on disk so long as all of the B2D jobs have the same target media set?

Our job schedule will eventually look something like this:

Folder 1 = 100Gb and will run on Monday
Folder 2 = 250Gb and will run on Tuesday
Folder 3 = 1000Gb and will run on Thursday
(several more folders will be here)

I will have to give this a shot once I get approval for the disk array that is going to hold these sets and see what happens from there.

Once again, thanks for your reply!

Cheers,
Luke

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

You can change the Overwrite Protection Period settings.
For Example : if the duplicate job runs after 2 days , change the OPP to 2 days and schedule a duplicate job on TAPE in between (Not as soon as the original disk job is over)