cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disk folder must be on an NTSF volume

nlaurino
Level 2

I am reaching out to see if someone can help me with this. Symantec tech support is almost worthless and there is no 'specific' information in the Knowledge base.

We have a media server running BackupExec 2010 R3 with all patches that has been operating very well prior to the R3 update. Since updating to R3 including all remote agents, we have been having problems on our Exchange incremental backups. Other than the R3 update there have been no changes on anything else on the Exchange servers or our storage.

Full GRT backups of the Exchange databases and even a couple of the incrementals have no issues. Our databases on the 4 main Exchange servers fail each night with th einitial error: Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-1022 There is a disk IO error.

In the Job Log under the Erros section it list:

V-79-57344-4608 - The backup-to-disk folder that was specified for this job must be on an NTFS volum...
V-79-57344-4608 - The backup-to-disk folder that was specified for this job must be on an NTFS volum...

One for each database.

The storage is formatted for NTFS and as I mentioned there are no problems with the Full or two of the Incrementals backups. Symantec said it was a timing issue with the jobs running simultaneously, so I rescheduled all the jobs so that none of them run together. This did work for a few days then the jobs started failing again.

3 REPLIES 3

Turls
Level 6

Do you have a support case open? What's your case ID#? Please let me know.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be a disk error.  Use a command prompt and issue this command

chkdsk <drive letter> /f

where the drive letter is the drive letter of the disk with the B2D folder.  Make sure that you have the /f switch as this will fix any problems detected.

Trinee_BE
Level 4

Refer the below article

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49863