cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk folders configuration for GFS bacup

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
We have two external usb disk drives. We would like to implement a grandfather, father son configuration to perform daily backups Monday- Thursday (Differential). Then we would like to have a full backup every Friday, and a full monthly backup. We need support on how to configure the backup to disk folders create the media sets, set the correct overwrite/ append protection levels. Anysupport would be appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Gabriel,

Did you come right here at all...?

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

CraigV
I'd look at creating B2D folders for Daily, Weekly and Monthly backups.
Once done, create your GFS policy. You have the option, once your jobs are created (and you go back into the GFS policy) to edit the location of where the backups run. This is where you would choose your various folders. The folders are created under Devices, and the Backup-to-disk folders section. It is as simple as right-clicking the folder and choosing your options.
leave enough space for backups to run up until a specific point...no sense in running out of disk space.
Overwrite/append periods...? I set my daily tapes to 7 days, my weekly tapes to 3 weeks, and my monthly tapes to 12 months. That said, your overwrite period/append periods will depend solely on how much disk space you have available, and how much data you are backing up.
What are those values...?

Laters!

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner

The data size is about 200GB. The external drives we have are5400GB each. I am a bit new at this. Would you be able to give me more info regarding the creation of the b2d folders. I need a step by step instruction, if that is not too much to ask?

Regards

CraigV
Hi Gabriel,

Not a problem at all...
Here is a link on how to create B2D folders...saves me typing it all out =P
It applies for any version up to 12.5 (BEWS 2010 is a little different)...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/266377.htm

As for your setup, I would leave your monthly jobs as Full, and point them to 1 B2D. You can possibly create 2 folders on 1 drive, and set Weekly backups to 1 folder, and Monthly backups to another.
However, the size of the backups means that you won't be able to keep your data for long. Weekly should then be set for 1 week, and MOnthlys for 1 month.What are the chances you can look into getting a tape drive?

Laters!

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
Thanks Craig. I will try it tonight and let you know.
Thanks so much for your help!

Regards
Gabriel

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
Hi Craig
I am at the client now, doing other support. I would like to check with you quicly. Do I setup different b2d folders for daily, weekly and monhly backups?

CraigV
Hi Gabriel,

You don't have too, but it logically splits your backups. If you ever need to recatalog those *.bkf files, you will have some sort of structure.

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
Hi Craig

Since I only have 2 external drives with 500GB each, what would you recommend to make to overwrite / append period. I will make the daily backups Monday toThursday 7 days. The weekly I am unsure of, because I want a full backup every week. Since I am using 2 drives must I make it 1 week or 2 weeks? Then I have no clue what to set the montlhy's to. Please help.

CraigV
Hi,

I'd leave Weekly as 2 weeks, Monthly at 1 month, and Daily at 7 days.
You will need to run the backups and then guage how things work out.
Try it, and post how much is actually backed up. We can then work around that! 

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner

Thanks

I have implemented it like that. Will keep you posted.

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
Hi Craig

One thing I am unsure of - The defferentil daily backups. Is BE suppose to create a seperate file for every day, or will it just use one file and append to it every day. From what I can see, I only uses 1 file and append to it every day. What are the implicatons of this in case I want to do a restore to Tuesday's data for example? What do you recommend?

CraigV
You would simply restore from that date...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'd make the daily OPP 6 days rather than 7.  likewise if you have two weekly tapes, I'd make the weekly 13 days

for the monthlies, take however long you want to keep them, convert  weeks or months to days, then subract 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The defferentil daily backups. Is BE suppose to create a seperate file for every day, or will it just use one file and append to it every day

Depends on how you setup your backups.  For disk based backups I recommend to use all Overwrite Jobs, since when you Append, the OPP date for every B KF file in the "append family" is reset each time the last file is closed.  This means that, effectively, none of them will ever expire and become eligible for re-use

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
Hi Craig

Do I set the overwrite on the policy or on the media set?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do I set the overwrite on the policy or on the media set?

on the media set

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
I would like to confirm that my settings are correct.

On the Policy poperties, I have the folowing settings:
Daily - Device and Media - Append to media, overwrite if  no appendable media is avalable.
Weekly - Same as above
Monthly - Same as above.

Under the media properites, I have the following:

Daily backup set - Overwrite protection = 0 hours, Append period = 6 days.
Weekly bakup set - Overwrite protection = 0 hours, Append period = 13 days.
Monthly backup set - Overwrite protection = 0 hours, Append period = 29 days.

Are these settings correct? Please keepin mind I am doing differential daily backups, or should I be doing incremental daily backups?

Your help is appreciated.

CraigV
Hi Gabriel,

Those look fine for now, but will be dependant on your backups and how quickly they fill up space.
Go with these for now, and differential backups should be fine.

Laters!

GabrielJvR
Level 3
Partner
Thanks Craig

Will keep you posted.

CraigV
Hi Gabriel,

Did you come right here at all...?