cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk max file size

radius
Level 2
According to all the documentation the max size for backup to disk files v12 is 4GB. I have managed to set mine to 25GB or greater. Not that I'm complaining but now there doesn't appear to be a maximum size for the Backup to disk folder. Does anyone know where this info is contained or does it just default ot maximum now?

Martin
9 REPLIES 9

DR0701
Level 5
Hi Martin

From what I can see in the Admin Guide (page 415), the maximum size for a backup-to-disk file is 4096Gb - the default is 4Gb.

Hope this helps

Doug.

radius
Level 2
Doug, thanks,

I know that's what it says but mine is currently set at 25GB.

I wonder if the 4GB limit is for removable devices.

There's also no setting on the Advanced tab to configure settings for the amount of disk space to reserve for the backup-to-disk folder (that's the question I want to answer ultimately)

I've got a call in with Symantec to clarify this.

Regards,

Martin

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Radius

Are the BKF files actually larger than 4GB on disk?

As far as the amount of disk space to reserver for backup files:   If you have a dedicated volume for your B2D device, just leave it at the default of no limit, and  BackupExec will fill the volume

If you need to place a B2D folder on a volume with other data on it, then you can reserve space for those files by using the Advancedc Option

radius
Level 2

Ken, thanks,

The bkf files on disk are up to 25GB in size which seems ok as I have set the limit at 25GB.

I would like to restrict the amount of disk space used by these files on disk but using the Advanced tab to configure settings for the amount of disk space there is no option for reserving disk space. The only option on the ASdvanced Tab to do with disk space is the Low Disk space threshold.

Regards,

Martin

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

That's the option that you need to use

From the Admin Guide page 414

Check Low disk space threshold to prevent Backup Exec from writing a job to the backup-to-disk folder when the volume reaches the threshold you specify.

The low disk space threshold is the amount of free space on the drive at which Backup Exec suspends backup operations to the backup-to-disk folder. When the volume’s capacity reaches this threshold, Backup Exec places current jobs on hold until disk space is available. The backup-to-disk status displays Low Disk Space. You must free some disk space to allow job submission to resume.

(Disk Space Reserve was the terminology used in v11 |8^) )

XxXxX
Level 3
I have this now. I have made more space available but the job remains paused. Is it supposed to automatically resume?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is there an active alert?

if not, I think you;ll have to cancel and restart the job manually

XxXxX
Level 3
yes there is and theres Teras free. What determines how much space there is available, is it just from
Max size for B2D files: X GB
tick/untick Allocate the max size for B2D files
Max number of backup sets per B2D file: x

What have everyone else done, i'll do the same settings. I'm getting very peed off with this version, is anyone else having so many problems with 12.5 SP1?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)  MAX Size for B2D files is the max size that each BKF file can attain before a new one is created

2)  Allocate Max Size for B2D means that  when opening a new BKF, the entire xxGB is allocated then, rather than a smaller chunk, followed by other small chunks until MaxFile size is reached.  using this option can greatly reduce fragmentation on the B2D device

3)  Each resource  (disk share, data base, etc) is considered one backup set.  If you set this option to "1", then a new BKF file is created for each resource.  and can be extremely wasteful of disk space.  Bump it it up can improve space usage and throuhput (fewer cycle wasted on opening an closing each physical file)

Available space on a B2D device is the physical space that is unused, minus the amount reserved for non-BackupExec usagae) (low disk space threshold on the advanced tab)