cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk solution

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Hi guys,

first of all, sorry if I missed something on another thread, I did some search and didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm not skilled with BE systems and fundamentals but i'll try my best to explain our scenario here and if you have a recommandation, that'll be welcome!

We have a single file-server to backup on a site. Actually, the config is a Full Backup on a Tape Drive. They are changing tape every day and they keep a monthly-tape and i think a 6 months-tape.

Actually the data which is backed up is going over 250gb so we need further space on a media. And we need to not have someone forgetting about changing the tapes lol.

I installed a Qnap with a Raid1 array of two 2Tb disks. My perfect scenario would be the backups doing their job and storing it on the NAS. Actually, I created 3 jobs (BackupExec 12.5) instead of a single one (actual scenario is a full backup w/ archive bit).

1st job: Daily (Differential backup)
2nd job: Weekly (Full Backup)
3rd job: Monthly (Full Backup)

I created a backup to disk folder in the Peripheral (sorry BE is in french i think it's Devices) tab named NS01. In this NS01, stands a shared folder with the correct rights on.

My problem is that I performed a Weekly full backup yesterday to start the process over. It worked great (236gb of data) but last night, the Daily backup job overwrited my support file (Named B2D000060). Now it is 2Gb size...

I suppose it has something to do with "Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite"...

Am I suppose to have 3 B2Ds files or just one with the size not changing that much? Like the full backup is taken which is 200ich gb and then it's implementing with the differential backup? I have some trouble to understand the perfect setup.

Can you guys help me please? I added screenshots (sorry in french).

Thank you.

Bruno

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create different media set with proper OPP for each job. One B2D folder is good enough.

For example daily backups with one week retention create a media set daily with 6 days Overwrite Protection and 1 Hour Append period.

For Weekly Backups with 1 month retention create a weekly media set with 28 days Overwrite Protection and 1 Hour Append period.

For monthly backups with 4 months retention create a monthly media set with 118 days Overwrite Protection and 1 Hour Append period.

Also you might want to read this.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Tools ---> Options ---> Media Management and check that the Overwrite Protection Level is set to either Partial (default) or Full.  If it is set to None, then overwrite protection is not working.

It is good that you are using overwrite for your jobs.

The size of each .bkf files are not fixed unless you have specified allocated max size in the properties of the B2D folder.

If you use  "Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite"., then your disk will fill up and your jobs will fail because it cannot overwrite any files.  You should set the OPP to some reasonable period, like 6 days for your daily differentials.  You can create multiple media sets to cater for different OPP requirements for your weekly and monthly fulls.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create different media set with proper OPP for each job. One B2D folder is good enough.

For example daily backups with one week retention create a media set daily with 6 days Overwrite Protection and 1 Hour Append period.

For Weekly Backups with 1 month retention create a weekly media set with 28 days Overwrite Protection and 1 Hour Append period.

For monthly backups with 4 months retention create a monthly media set with 118 days Overwrite Protection and 1 Hour Append period.

Also you might want to read this.

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Thanks for the replies.

I did what you recommanded and I think it's working. Though, I've notice another problem regarding my setup. It seems like my BE services keeps stopping after a day or so. The user which has rights to log on as services is Domain Admins member and Backup Operators.

Sometimes when I log on the server, the services are stopped so what I have to do is returning in services.msc and going in properties of BE Server service, log on as Domain\be-admin. Type the password again and then the services restart well.

Is it familiar to someone?

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Should mention that i've just applied almost 12 hotfixes .. let see if i get any luck with that.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check the BESA has the following rights

Requirements for the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA).

You should look at the Windows Eventlog to see what is the cause of the service stoppage.

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Thanks for the link. I had a look there before and just confirmed everything listed in.

Create a token object: Yes

Log on as a service: Yes (got also <Domain>\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$<BE-SERVER>$BKUPEXEC)
Logon as a batch job : Yes (got also <Domain>\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$<BE-SERVER>$BKUPEXEC)

Manage auditing and security log: Member via Builtin\Administrators (Domain admins member)
Backup files and directories: Member via Builtin\Administrators (Domain admins member)

Restore files and directories: Member via Builtin\Administrators and also Builtin\Backup Operators

Backup user is member of Domain Admins and Backup Operators

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Maybe the hotfixes helped really much. The services are doing the work now. One thing I notice, if I reboot the server, I need to reapply the password on each services because it won't restart right off the bat .. but despite that, the functionality is good.

Thanks for the help everybody.