cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to tape drive

suren424
Level 5

Hi,

I am backing up to a single tape drive (i have to manually change the tape after it's gets full). the issue i am facing is, after few backups, the tape is going to overwrite protected state and nothing is getting backuped up even if it has 2TB of storage space left.

Attached the storage details configuration and job details.

Please suggest me how can i continue with backing up the jobs without changing the tape frequently.

thanks in advance

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Increase the AP and change some of your jobs to append.

You would have to periodically run some jobs which will overwrite the tapes.

See this document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are the backup jobs set to append to media, overwrite if not appendable media available ?

What are the overwrite and append protection periods of the media sets which are assigned in the backup jobs ?

suren424
Level 5

Yeah ... as of now i have only one backup job running and is set to append to media,overwrite if no appendable media is available.

Please find the screenshot attached.

As we have one tape drive which can accomodate only one media at a time, i want to run the job till the media gets full and then i can change the media. what job settings and media set i need to set.

Thanks,

pkh
   VIP    Certified
As I said earlier, you need to increase the AP

suren424
Level 5

How to change the default media set "Keep data for 4 weeks" AP and OPP.

Thanks.

suren424
Level 5

Hi Pkh,

Can you suggest me the AP in our situation.

We have only one backu job ( friday full backup and incremental on MON-Thu).Overall backup data for the week would be 260GB.

I thought of creating a media set with 4 weeks OPP and 60 days AP, so that we can use the full space of the tape media(2.7TB) till it gets full.

Does this looks good or need any changes in the AP and OPP.

Thanks,

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can go to the Storage tab and create the media set that you want. After that target your job to this new media set. Also, you can associate your existing tapes to this new media set and they would inherit the new OPP and AP intermediately

suren424
Level 5

Thank you.

Can you suggest me the AP in our situation.

We have only one backu job ( friday full backup and incremental on MON-Thu).Overall backup data for the week would be 260GB.

I thought of creating a media set with 4 weeks OPP and 60 days AP, so that we can use the full space of the tape media(2.7TB) till it gets full.

Does this looks good or need any changes in the AP and OPP.

Thanks,

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I cannot tell you how long to set your AP because I do not know how long it takes for you to fill up a tape

suren424
Level 5

OK.

What if i put infinite.. append data ?

Will that be any issue ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No

suren424
Level 5

Thanks.. I have created a media set, now i would like to change the AP on that. How can i edit/change it ?

Thanks again