cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to tape fails.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Brief History

This past month BExec and my  2-3 year old Dell Powervault 124T Autoloader Tape device have been having issues. Perhaps coincidental, but it appears that the trigger to the woes was a catalog job on an old LTO tape. The error log said corrupt tape...or similar.

After a variety of changes to get it working including firmware update, reload of Medium changer drivers, reload of tape device drivers and reboots, it was finally working again. And in the meantime, I had sent Incrementals to a B2D folder as a short term solution.

Fast forward a few days and I did a successful Full backup to tape last weekend. Since I had Incremental/.bkf files in a B2D folder, I decided to redirect the Incrementals to now go to tape.

Here is my current plight.

All jobs that I now send to tape never start. The job status stays in the "Queued" state. And when I cancel the job, the .xml log says...

<media_mount_date>Drive and media mount requested: 5/13/2015 12:28:10 PM</media_mount_date>
- <OperationErrors Type="mount_failed">
- <CED>
  <ced_disp_text />
  <ced_version>13.0.5204</ced_version>
  <ced_module>eng-no_fs-backup</ced_module>
  <ced_error />
  <ced_language>EN</ced_language>
  <ced_build>Retail</ced_build>
  </CED>
  - Error - Mount failed.

However I am still able to do B2D backups.

I decided to try a new Full backup directly to tape to see if that needed to occur in oder to send successive Incrementals to tape...but as stated earlier, ALL jobs that go to tape don't even start. Job Status remains "Queued".

Device manager shows the medium changer same as before. Also, device manager shows Tape device same as before.

Any idea is welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check and respond to any outstanding alerts in BE.

To check for possible hardware error, run the tape manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape library/drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

Lastly, try re-installing the tape library

1) Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to delete all occurances of both the old and the new tape drives and tape libraries

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) In BE, install the library if necessary.  Go to Tools --> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to do so.

7) Target your jobs to some other device, save it and then target it to the tape library again.

8) Try again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Edit your job to make sure it is targetted at the current version of your hardware.  In a worst case scenario, create a new job to test the hardware.

It the tape library paused or disabled in the BE GUI?  Try pausing it and disabling it, then undo it to see if that will wake it up.

Do utility jobs (erase, inventory, etc) work?  If they do, then try pausing and unpausing the BE server in the GUI.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check and respond to any outstanding alerts in BE.

To check for possible hardware error, run the tape manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape library/drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

Lastly, try re-installing the tape library

1) Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to delete all occurances of both the old and the new tape drives and tape libraries

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) In BE, install the library if necessary.  Go to Tools --> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to do so.

7) Target your jobs to some other device, save it and then target it to the tape library again.

8) Try again.