cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to the Network Drive.

inot
Level 3
Hello.
I've got a questions about backup to the network drive. I've made a job for it. Information in this task is very huge, and this process may take 2-3 day or more. How I can resume this process if connection to this drive lost? Or I must start it again? Is BE 12.5 can make it? Or I must use some special agent or software for it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

no, i must copy it every week.

BackupExec is not designed to do what are trying to do.  Don't really have any replacement suggestions, either

if you have a network connection to the other office, I suppose you could use XCOPY with the  /Z switch.  But this would probably saturate your link in any case

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

DR0701
Level 5
Hi

If you're writing data to a network drive, and it's likely to take more than a day or two, you might be better to look at splitting the job into several smaller jobs, so these can be written to the network drive simultaneously.

As it is, if the connection to the drive is lost, the Backup Exec job will cancel and you'll have to start over.

Doug.

inot
Level 3
Thank you for answer, but this is bad for me, this jobs is one big file, and i cant split it.

DR0701
Level 5
Is the data being backed up in constant use, as if you are taking 2-3 days to back it up, then it's pretty much pointless, as by the time you've backed it up, it's out of date already?

Do you mind me asking how much data you are talking about?

nkapoor
Level 3

nkapoor
Level 3
Hi inot:

Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do?   There are experts here with lots of backup experience, including myself, and it seems like you may be using the wrong tools or procedures to get whatever it is you need to have accomplished.  

inot
Level 3
I've got very big file, aroung 100Gb, and I need to move it to another location (another office). Can I make it by BE if connection will be lost? 

DR0701
Level 5
Sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly, but is this a one-off copy of the file that is required?

inot
Level 3

DR0701
Level 5
Hi

So would you be using Backup Exec to back the file up direct to a server at the remote location, hence the amount of time you think it will take?

Doug.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

BackupExec is not designed to do what are trying to do.  Don't really have any replacement suggestions, either

if you have a network connection to the other office, I suppose you could use XCOPY with the  /Z switch.  But this would probably saturate your link in any case