cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup up data replicated with CPS?

David_Horn
Level 3
I have dozens of remote servers replicating their data back to HQ.  I then have a job that just backs up this data, about a TB of data.  This was working without issue with Replication Exec.  I upgraded to CPS and replication still works as expected, but the backup job for this data will no longer backs up the data.  It only gets the servername and drive letter folders but will not backup any data in the subfolders.  I can see the data through the job selection console?  The strange thing is how the folder permissions are set for each server folder that is repliacated.  They are set at the servername folder and drive letter folder with Administrators having special permissions.  The CPS docs say not to change the persmissons on the destination folders.  I can verify this is correct, if you change it the job thinks it has to push ALL of the replicated data again.  How am I supposed to backup this replicated data to tape?   I have recreated this job but the results are this same.  I assume this has something to do with the odd permssions that CPS is setting?
6 REPLIES 6

David_Horn
Level 3
I thought this was moderated forum?  I posted this a week ago?

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Hi David,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Can you answer a few questions please?
When you installed CPS, did you uninstall Replication Exec first?
Can you stop CPS and successfully run a flat-file backup? (not as a solution, just for testing)
Can you go to the CPS console, Setup tab, and post a screenshot of the jobs themselves?

Greg

David_Horn
Level 3
I did an ungrade.  I have not tried to stop the CPS services to run the backup, but I will.  I have a screenshot but I can not figure out how to paste it in this window?

David_Horn
Level 3
Stopping the CPS services does allow the job to backup data.

David_Parkin
Level 3
We have the same issues we cannot get a good backup with the CPS services running, but why should you have to stop the services to get a tape backup. This then means you have to do a full resync of the data in CPS.
Should CPS not work seamlessly with Backup Exec?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
What are the error messages that you are receiving?

When you backup the CPS data in Backup Exec the best way to do that is to select that latest snapshot only.

Is this how you are backing it up?