cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup virtual machine over vcenter

hai_dang_hong
Level 3

I have added vcenter server (work on windows server 2008 R2), I need backup virtual machine (include vmdk files), I using Administrator account of vCenter server to backup virtual machines, but job fail and alert can not connect Windows agent ....

Please help me!

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Can you post either a screenshot or the exact error message received?

You can also check the TN below for the best practices relating to BE and backing up VMware:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74443

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you buy a RAWS licence, installed it on the media sever and then push out the RAWS to the vCenter server?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE is designed to be part of a domain.  If your media server is not part of the domain with the other machines, then it would be very difficult to get the permissions right to back them up.

hai_dang_hong
Level 3
Final error: 0xe00095a4 - The operation failed because the vCenter or ESX server reported a problem creating or accessing one or more files needed.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38308

Errors:
Verify- TNFPWBKP01Unable to attach to VMVCB::\\10.10.200.65\VCGuestVm\(DC)TNF-SaiGon(DC)\vm\TNFPWERP01.

V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Agent for Windows. The correct version of the Agent for Windows must be running on the target computer.

A selection on device VMVCB::\\10.10.200.65\VCGuestVm\(DC)TNF-SaiGon(DC)\vm\TNFPWERP02 was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

Exceptions:
Backup- TNFPWBKP01V-79-57344-34009 - An error was encountered creating on-disk catalog. If this is an incremental backup, cataloging of the generated media may not work correctly.

Backup- VMVCB::\\10.10.200.65\VCGuestVm\(DC)TNF-SaiGon(DC)\vm\TNFPWERP02V-79-57344-38730 - Backup Exec failed to authenticate with virtual machine '\(DC)TNF-SaiGon(DC)\vm\TNFPWERP02' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup. You must edit the credentials for the host computer's backup job and then select the proper credentials for the virtual machine.

Virtual machines are domain member, but symantec server and vcenter are not domain member. I can not use administrator account of vcenter to backup virtual machines, so I use domain account have Backup Operators premission.

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The administrator account on the vcenter server (that you have added to BE against the Vcenter server object) must be given the correct roles/permissions inside ESX itself, have you done this?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129645

hai_dang_hong
Level 3

My virtual machine have virtual disk 2TB, is this failure reason of backup vmdk file?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is likely to be the cause of the failure.  The error messages point to a permission problem.