cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup windows 2003 File server via fiber channel with Symantec Backup Exec 2012

khuyenht
Level 4

Hello Symantec Experts,

I have:

- 01 HP server install Symantec Backup Exec 2012 with HBA connect to SAN switch

- 01 HP server install Microsoft windows 2003 as an file sharing server, this file server has 01 HBA card already connected to SAN switch

- 01 Tape autoloader connected to SAN switch

Could you please help me how to create backup job on Symantec Exec 2012 server to command Microsoft file server push selected data direct to tape autoloader.

i will appreciate all your support!

Thank you so much.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it will run across the SAN, but you need to install a full version of Backup Exec on the file server. This would be listed in the links above. I've used SAN SSO on a file server and the speed increase was worth it.

You install the Enterprise Server Option license on the media server which opens up the SAN SSO option.

Then install a full version of BE on the file server, and run the SAN SSO wizard to configure and share the tape library.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Advanced Disk Backup is a special section of ESO liceing thjat can provide Syhthetic backuip abilities and can also provide a Transportable Snapshot over the SAN for a backup (whidch is known as off-Host) - in theory you do not need to confiure CASO/SSO option to use Off-Host, BUT you do need supporterd SAN hardware and be backing up supported data to do it and there are only a few hardware vendors that Off-Host supports. Please read our compatibility lists (both the Software and Hardware ones) and the Admin guide for more info

In BE 2012 SSO (and as it happens CASO) is part of the ESO licensing, and I believe you only install the license on the primary/CASO server. In the screenshot above the CASO Option should only be ticked/enabled if the screenshot is on the server that will become the Primary.

Just in cae it was not clear - In your environment to use the CASO/SSO setup, your file server will need to also be a Backup Exec Media Server and not just a server running our remote agent in order to backup over the SAN. You will also need to zone the library and drives to both servers across the SAN.The CASO/SSO requirement is so that you can share the library between the current media server you have and the media server that you need to install on the file server.

You could of course ditch the separate media server and just use the file server as a media server and not share the library which would also achive SAN backups.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV

Hi,

You need the Enterprise Server Option with the SAN SSO option which will allow you to do SAN-based backups. Check below for more information:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196579

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The SSO option mentioned previously is for sharing a tape library connected to a SAN and then on to 2 media server.  In your configuration, the second machine is not a media server, it is a file server so the SSO option does not apply.

There is no way to configure the file server backup to go directly to the tape library.  When you backup the file server, the data will flow from the file server across to the LAN to the media server then to the tape library.

khuyenht
Level 4

Hi CraigV,

I think i have license for SAN Shared Storage Option ( please see the picture below) . But SSO seem hasn't been installed yet!

Could you please help how to install this option and how can i use it for my file server backup data direct to tape autoloader.

Thank you so much

symantec-license.jpg

CraigV

...it will run across the SAN, but you need to install a full version of Backup Exec on the file server. This would be listed in the links above. I've used SAN SSO on a file server and the speed increase was worth it.

You install the Enterprise Server Option license on the media server which opens up the SAN SSO option.

Then install a full version of BE on the file server, and run the SAN SSO wizard to configure and share the tape library.

Thanks!

CraigV

...OK, then continue with the installation...

Thanks!

khuyenht
Level 4

Hi CraigV,

I have already installed Enterprise server option in Symantec Exec 2012 server but can not see the SAN Shared StorageOption

Installed as picture above.

Could you please explain me the media server mean ? media server mean Symantec Exec 2012 or file server ?

Thank you so much!

Could you please give me some advice !

symantec-options.jpg

CraigV

Media server is the primary BE server, but when you install a full version of BE on the file server, it too becomes a media server.

Check within BE itself...the SAN SSO wizard should be there.

Thanks!

khuyenht
Level 4

Hi,

I captured the screen when reinstall Symantec Exec options.

Am i missing anything when install Exec 2012 ?

Thanks so much for your support!

symantec-options1.jpg

Colin_Weaver

Advanced Disk Backup is a special section of ESO liceing thjat can provide Syhthetic backuip abilities and can also provide a Transportable Snapshot over the SAN for a backup (whidch is known as off-Host) - in theory you do not need to confiure CASO/SSO option to use Off-Host, BUT you do need supporterd SAN hardware and be backing up supported data to do it and there are only a few hardware vendors that Off-Host supports. Please read our compatibility lists (both the Software and Hardware ones) and the Admin guide for more info

In BE 2012 SSO (and as it happens CASO) is part of the ESO licensing, and I believe you only install the license on the primary/CASO server. In the screenshot above the CASO Option should only be ticked/enabled if the screenshot is on the server that will become the Primary.

Just in cae it was not clear - In your environment to use the CASO/SSO setup, your file server will need to also be a Backup Exec Media Server and not just a server running our remote agent in order to backup over the SAN. You will also need to zone the library and drives to both servers across the SAN.The CASO/SSO requirement is so that you can share the library between the current media server you have and the media server that you need to install on the file server.

You could of course ditch the separate media server and just use the file server as a media server and not share the library which would also achive SAN backups.

khuyenht
Level 4

Hi Colin,

Here is my scenario, The BE2012+fileserver+HP tape autoloader were joined in to 1 zone.

I only have one BE2012 server. And you mean i have to install another BE2012 in my file server ?

Is there any way for me to install an agent in file server to do my requrement ?

Thanks os much

scenario.jpg

CraigV

...I'd really suggest you read the links I sent you, and read what's been said.

Without a full version of BE installed on your file server, you can't use the SAN-attached autoloader for backups. All backups will take place using the RAWS agent, and flow across the LAN (as per what pkh said!). So the answer is no...no agent can run backups across the SAN...only ESO with SAN SSO and a full installation of BE on the server you want to backup using this technology.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

It is the disk storage devcie that must be SAN Attached for Off-Host Hardware compatibility, if it is just a SAN Switch connected to the file server with a tape drive connected to the SAN switch with all data held on internal drives to the file server then you cannot use off-host are are left with CraigVs answer being the only way to do a SAN backup (i.e. the file server MUST be a media server backing up itself to the SAN tape drive which is also and shared with the other media server, if you stil need to other media server)