Did you mean: 

BackupExec 11d Rev. 7171 Emailnotification does not work

Kid_Lark
Level 2
Hi Group,

BackupExec 11d Rev. 7171
W2K3 Server Standard
Quantum LTO 2

• I configured Email and Pager Settings to use an existing pop3/smtp account on my domain to send smtp mails. Port 25 should be used to send the mails
  • I configured a recipient.
  • I tested the connection to the smtp server using "telnet wpXXX.webpack.hosteurope.de 25". I can connect and start writing an email.

When I click on "Test" (in German "Testen") no email is sent.
  • Next step was to configure loging on the notification. KnowledgeBase Article, modified registry settings.

All events are now logged in the NSSERVER.log on the Backupserver.

11/26/09 11:36:07 03CD74D0[ERROR]   NS SMTP error (server =  wpXXX.webpack.hosteurope.de, port =19, recipient=YYY@mydomain.de, sender=XXX@mydomain.de)

I have the impression, that the server tries to send the smtp mail via port 19!

What can be done to solve this.

Use Arcserve? 

;-)

Regards

Georg

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi there

If you review this document you can see that Port 19 is discussed
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/256517

When you say you could telnet to Port 25 and start writing an e-mail - did you actually send a message to someones account to verify that it worked?
To Test telnet on port 25enter
EHLO
MAIL FROM:user@emaildomain.com
RCPT TO:user@emaildomain.com
DATA
<enter some text to finish entereing text enter a . on an empty line>

Then check that the message is received by the recipient 

You also have not said what sort of mail server you are using and whether you are trying to use authentciated or anonymous SMTP. If you are running Exchange 2003 then Microsoft changed something in the service packs that means that Backup Exec could no longer send e-mails with SMTP authentication - this particular change by Microsoft also stopped you doing a telnet test with authentication as well.

Kid_Lark
Level 2
Hi,

I've used the 256517-document  to enable the loging of the notification process.

One question, do I have to installt the smtp protocoll on the w2k3 server?  I don't think this is installed.

I'm not using any kind of smtp server yet. I just try to connect to the smtp server of my registered domain to send the mails. Exchange is not beeing used (it's not installed!).

Regards,

Georg