cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12.1

R_G_
Level 2

Installed BackupExec 2014 SP1 on server configured with 2008 R2,  connected by SCSI to Qualstar TLS-4480 tape library.  When [attempting to] configure storage, install drivers, it says no devices present.  On POST the SCSI indicates the QUALSTAR and both tape drives in that device.

Looking at hardware compatability list, the TLS-4480 is OK

Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong that it will not let me configure storage.

(Has been functioning OK, with a 2003 Server operating on 2003 with Backup Exec 10d.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if Windows doesn't see the hardware, BE won't. You need to fix it there first.

Make sure the correct drivers are installed for the SCSI card, and that the library is connected correctly.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Does the device appear in Windows Device Manager?

Use tapeinst to install the Symantec Driver: default location is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

try a full power cycle: 

1 Power off the BE server.
2) Power off the autoloader.
3) Power on the autoloader and wait for it to be completely initialized.
4) Power on the BE server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that in the Windows Device Manager, the tape library is shown as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive has a Symantec driver.  Both of them must be functioning correctly in the Device Manager before BE can detect them.  If not, you got to contact your hardware vendor to get them to function correctly.

BTW, why is the title of your post Backup Exec 12.1?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if Windows doesn't see the hardware, BE won't. You need to fix it there first.

Make sure the correct drivers are installed for the SCSI card, and that the library is connected correctly.

Thanks!

R_G_
Level 2

Thank you --- I needed the troubleshooting 101 reset.  Was focusing on BackupExec instead of the obvious - was a Windows driver problem with SCSI controller.  All better now.

Thanks for feedback.