Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12.5 adding media type

ocmnetworks
Level 2

Really appreciate any assistance or thoughts you can think of

Cheers
Ben

Software version:    Backup Exec 12.5 (Small Business Server suite) rev 2213 with sp4

Backup hardware:  HP DAT 320 USB (which IS on the HCL for this version)

Problem:               Media type not listed

Details:                 The drive is installed and actually backing up correctly
                            HOWEVER, the data size has now exceeded 80GB and the job has started to spit the tape out and ask for another one
                            When I go into the tape drive properties and then the media types tab it only lists up to DAT 160 (80GB)
                            I have tried all combinations of drivers etc and get the same result every time

Question:              How can I make Backup Exec use 320GB tapes?

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Did you tried using different USB port ? Well 1st I would sugges you to take how much data can the tape accomodate using the OEM drivers , see if it can store 320 gb data or it cannot . if it cannot you would need to contact HP or run some utility to check the drive from Hp .

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

According to BE 12.5 HCL "Capacity and compression reporting is not currently supported for this device."

This may be causing the issue...

Thanks..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You will most likely never get 320 GB on a single media, but you should get at least 160GB

What kind of media are you using?

Are you using the Symantec drivers or HP?  have you tried switching?

ocmnetworks
Level 2

Thanks for the replies guys, I will reply in order

Rahul
Yes, I have tried other USB ports
I have tried a backup using WindowsServerBackup (the frankly rubbish replacement for NTbackup in server 2008) and it backed up 115GB of data so I'm happy the drive is OK

Kiran
That sounds like it would cause the issue.
Any idea on a solution -is it supported undfer 2010 for example?
Or are there plans to update the driver database?

Ken
Yeh, I appreciate that you'll never achieve perfect compression
However, the native capacity is 160GB so I would expect to be able to get 180+GB
Yet the backup is spitting the tape out asking for another after 80GB
This leads me to believe it is because the maximum media size listed DAT-160 (80/160GB)
I have tried all kinds of drivers and rebooted the server each time when switching between

Any other help please?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Upgrading to BE 2010 may resolve your issue. You can upgrade directly to BE 2010 R3.

Your tape device is listed in the hardware compatibility list of BE 2010 without any exceptions.

BE HCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

Note: For all USB drives vendor's device drivers must be installed prior to starting Backup Exec. 

Regards....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yet the backup is spitting the tape out asking for another after 80GB

It could be that you are compressing data which is already compressed, like zipped files, movies and sound clips.  Compression such data can result in file which is bigger than the original.  See my article on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

If you are using compression, you might want to turn it off as a test.  You just might get more data onto your tape.

ocmnetworks
Level 2

Kiran
Yeh, I've done that. I will download and evaluate 2010 and update on how that goes

PKH
The native capacity of the tape is 160GB, the drive is a DAT 320, I really cant believe that compression would halve the native capacity

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I really cant believe that compression would halve the native capacity

What type of media are you using?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you read my article on how this could happen?  If you don't believe me, zip up a file which is already zipped and see the result.