cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12.5 or 2010 and VMware Agent

MacLEOD
Level 4

I am looking at some of the documentation / FAQ regarding the versions 12.5 and 2010 R2 and the VM Virtual Infrastructure agent, for each.

We are running a VMware host with version 3.0.2

The question I have is that I do see in the FAQ for the Backup Exec 12.5 is that it covers 3.0.2 in the documentation, where the Backup Exec 2010 /2010  R2 only notes the 3.5 Update 2. 

I am just trying to confirm that the 12.5 version would have to be used rather then the 2010 version, to be able to backup the Vmware servers that are running  the 3.0.2 host.

Currently we are setup to backup the VM Guest using the WIndows Agent for the clients, and this is working rather well.  I am looking to see if this along with the normal Window agent backups would help with the overall recovery process of the VMs running on the VMware hosts.

Any thoughts and recommendation would also be greatful.

Cheers

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec 2010 would support ESX 3.5 U2 onwards and older versions of ESX server is not supported because it does not use VCB any more. Backup Exec 12.5 uses VCB, for backups, hence older version of ESX are supported. Whereas, Backup Exec 2010 onwards, Vstorage APIs are used for backup, which are supported from ESX 3.5 U2 onwards.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec 2010 would support ESX 3.5 U2 onwards and older versions of ESX server is not supported because it does not use VCB any more. Backup Exec 12.5 uses VCB, for backups, hence older version of ESX are supported. Whereas, Backup Exec 2010 onwards, Vstorage APIs are used for backup, which are supported from ESX 3.5 U2 onwards.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

thanks

MacLEOD
Level 4

Thank you for clearing that up