cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12 and Hyper-V Host

AnthonyTEC
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

Quick question in relation to backing up a Virtual Host (and guest machines) using BackupExec 12.

The current configuration is a single Virtual Host (Single Xeon CPU, 24GB RAM, Quad NIC, ISCSI Tape Drive) running Microsoft Hyper-V Server Core 2008 R2 and two Virtual Machine guests which have resources allocated accordingly.

My question is that I need to backup one of these virtual machines as I would backup a physical machine, the catch is that it needs to be backed up to tape which is attached to the host.

What I would like to do is install BackupExec software onto the Hyper-V Core host, and then install the agent onto the VirtualMachine which will allow for me to backup to the Tape Drive.

I've tried just running the setup from the Bex64 folder on the Hyper-V host however nothing happens, I don't know if this is supported or not?

Cheers,
Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot load BE onto a core OS.  This is not supported.  See the page 7 of the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

For your configuration, you either load a full OS onto the host or get a separate physical machine for BE and attach the tape drive to this physical machine.

BTW, BE 12 is an older version of BE.  You should not refer to BE 2012 as BE 12 as it will cause confusion.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot load BE onto a core OS.  This is not supported.  See the page 7 of the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

For your configuration, you either load a full OS onto the host or get a separate physical machine for BE and attach the tape drive to this physical machine.

BTW, BE 12 is an older version of BE.  You should not refer to BE 2012 as BE 12 as it will cause confusion.

AnthonyTEC
Level 2

Sorry yes, I was meaning version 2012.

Cheers,
Anthony