cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 15 Database was offline.

quanpl
Level 2

Hi all,

Current, I cannot connect with BackupExec 15 console on Windows Server 2012 domain controller.

When I open BackupExec 15, It have some error.

"The BackupExec Management Service was unable to start

The BackupExec database was offline. Please bring the database online and restart the BackupExec services.

Everyone, Please help me fix this case?

Thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Start the service for the BKUPEXEC SQL instance before starting the BE Management service. If there are any errors, take a look at the Eventlog for more details

quanpl
Level 2

I had been started the service for the BKUPEXEC SQL instance before starting the BE Management service. It is the same error. " BE databse was offline"

I found at event log:

An exception occured starting Backup Exec Management Service:

System.ApplicationException: Failed to connect to the database.
   at BackupExec.Management.Components.DataAccess.DataAccessManager.Init(String configFile)
   at BackupExec.Management.Components.Common.ComponentBroker.Init()
   at BackupExec.Management.Server.ServerCommon.Start()

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backup Exec Management Service startup in EXCEPTION mode.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Programs and Features, and do a repair of BE.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is port 50104 open for use by the BE Management service ?

Try these KB articles as well -

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH188675

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH195492

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH179970

Lastly, if the above does not work, then try the solution as per this post - https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/backup-exec-management-services-could-not-be-started

quanpl
Level 2

I had been repaired BE but not to run.

How to open port 50104 on Windows Server 2012 for using. Please let's me a direction.

jay_kothawala
Level 2

We are unable to open Backup Exec console.

Problem:
======
After updating product Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2. Update Name: KB3195363, an attempt to open the BackupExec admin console fails with error and Backup Exec Management Service start-up in EXCEPTION mode.

All the Backup Exec services are running fine on the media server “FS2”

This issue is known to be caused by a corruption in the configuration of .NET framework on the server itself and is not specifically a Backup Exec issue.

Resolution:

--Will have to uninstall the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5.
--Need to install Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
--Need to install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 then reinstall .Net Framework 4.5 again.
--Multiple reboot require.

Fernando_Nha
Level 0
Partner Accredited

I just removed KB3195363 and restarted SQL instance for Backup Exec and it started working just fine even without the restart requested by the removal of the KB

This worked for me as well, Thank you very much.

It KB3195362 and not KB3195363

kf2013
   VIP   

I encountered same issue last week.

1. Check if SQL Encryption is enabled. Open "SQL Configuration Manager", and check the setting under "SQL Server network configuration".right click "Protocols for BKUPEXEC" and click "properties". Check "Force Encryption" is set to "Yes", if "YeS" then change to "No" and restart SQL and all BE Services.

2. Use SQL management studio to connect BE SQL instance to check if the database is offline, if yes, then bring it back online.

That was the right Hint! Thank You very much!

That works for me, and I think this is the right solution!!

Uninstalling the KB3195363 update worked, just restart services after. No reboot is requirred although it will request one.

If it worked before this update, don't bother repairing DB or anything out of the norm, this worked just fine.

Thanks!

Thank you kf2013.  Your solution worked for me as well.

In my case, 3195363 was not installed, and neither was any other .NET update after that one. The problem went away after I installed 3102467 (that is .NET 4.6.1 for 2012R2), but the update required a reboot, so I'm not entirely sure which fixed it.

Same problem but in our case  had to uninstall kb3210137 ( MS16-155: Security update for the .NET Framework: December 13, 2016) . Rebooted server and this resolved the issue.

Colin_Weaver

Different patches affect different combinations of environment

KB3210137 was one of the ones we are aware of - with the complete list of combinations we are aware of being documented here

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000116721

Thanks for this, Provided steps resolved my issue.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Colin_Weaver

Please be aware have found new .net combinations and MS patch levels that cause this (including a conflict with a more recent MS patch than originally identified)

As such we have recently updated the article covering the issue to cover our new findings.