cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 16 and OST (Quest DR) - Clients direct to Target

fdezmichael
Level 2

Hi,

Does BE 16 When is integrated with a Quest DR Appliance via OST supports that clients (machines to back up) write directly to the Storage with out passing through the Media Server?

I'm doing some tests but is does not work.. i just have to disable this option (direct to target), and at the end, is the Media Server who writes to the Storage.

Can someone clarify this?

Thank you.

Michael.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

A remote server with the BE remote agent and the Quest OST plugin should talk directly to the Quest DR without the data going through the BE media server.

I believe that the Quest plugin will operate in different modes depending upon the CPU and RAM of the system it is running on.  Check the Quest documentation and see if your server is powerful enough to do client side dedupe or if does pass thru (dedupe in the DR, due to not meeting the miinimum requirements of Quest plugin).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DevG
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

Client-side Deduplication is expected to work with BE 16 and using Quest DR Appliance as OST storage configured in BE. Assuming you are running newer Quest branded software on the appliance, are you using and installed the Quest branded plugin on BE Media server? Please refer to following BE 16 HCL article to know about the supported Quest OST storage versions, Plugin versions, Operating System on BE server and it's functions.

P.S. - Kindly check the footnote points 1,2,3,4 and 5 in below article against Quest OST storage device on page 51. 

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
The plugin will also need to be installed on remote server which you want to backup with direct access. Restart the BE services and then choose the option to directly access the storage from job settings and test the job.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

A remote server with the BE remote agent and the Quest OST plugin should talk directly to the Quest DR without the data going through the BE media server.

I believe that the Quest plugin will operate in different modes depending upon the CPU and RAM of the system it is running on.  Check the Quest documentation and see if your server is powerful enough to do client side dedupe or if does pass thru (dedupe in the DR, due to not meeting the miinimum requirements of Quest plugin).

Hi,

Thank you to all for answer.. i will try this again and let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Michael.

Thank you..

It's works if you set at least 4CPU to the machine.

Thank you.