cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 20.1 - who is using it?

slawek
Level 3

Hello

I can't find topis on this forum so I created one.

Who is so brave and upgarded to 20.1 ? not in test environment but on production?

I have mixed virtual and phisical servers and I want to be sure that after upgrade I will stay on this version without downgrade...

Do we need to wait for the first hotfix?

Regards

SLawek

16 REPLIES 16

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Another user's experience will not be relevant to you. He may have problems with a particular release, but you may not. Conversely, he may have no problems with it, but you do. Each environment is different. You should do your own testingth satisfy yourself that it is suitable for your environment.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

RicardoDuarte
Level 1

Just tried to upgrade from V-Ray 16 to 20.1, just to find that Deduplication is no longer included with my upgraded license...

Doesn't even install without forcing me to remove dedup from my install, losing all my historical backups.

It seems like Veritas is not honoring the features I pay for.

Hoping this is just a technical bug.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
I am checking on this internally. A workaround would have been to select the trial mode during upgrade. That way dedupe feature uninstall could have been avoided.

As a side note, if dedupe feature/option is uninstalled, dedupe services are removed but entries in BE database should remain. The dedupe storage can again be reimported with al previous data. When you are upgrading from BE 16 to BE 20.1 with dedupe, the DD version will be updated and the dedupe storage conversion will also occur post the upgrade (after reboot).

You can provide us a case number if a case is open with support and we can review it.

Is it possible to go back to 16 after upgrading to 20, or I must do a new install?

Gurvinder

If its a VM, take a snapshot of the VM before the upgrade else preserve the Data and Catalog folder from BE 16 if you ever have to go back to earlier configuration. Since dedupe version is changing (DD7 to DD10), and it will make changes to the storage, it is recommended to backup the storage on a Tape or secondary location (recommended way to backup dedupe folder is from under the BE server -> select dedupe storage from Shadow Copy Component). Dedupe storage will need to be restored if you need to go back to version of dedupe which came in BE 16. The upgrade instructions mention it.

Gurvinder

Jason_santo
Level 2

I would wait, I have installed it into a production SCCM environment.  I am unable to click on veritas update without it hanging.  I am also having problems with SDR, receiving an error that a newer version of the Windows Assessment and Deplyoment kit is already installed on the computer.

I recommend waiting also.  After upgrading only a couple sites, I've come across multiuple issues including being unable to edit jobs that point to the upgraded dedup storage and backups of hyper-v servers are failing everywhere.  Even on new installs of BE 20, Hyper-V backups fail to verify with a vhdx corrupt error yet restores from those failed jobs work fine.

I am excited about many new features however.  Most notably is the multi-core Dedup agent.

We have seperate BE servers installed. I've found one to "test" 20.1 on and it has been an absolute nightmare so far. It doesn't recognize the OST devices and had to add after the fact. Backup jobs are not completing and are hanging at queued. I think I've had around 4 hours of support on the phone so far. I'm not so certain this version has been tested well.

Gurvinder
Which vendor OST are you using ? Or are you talking about the BE dedupe ? Is it backup to BE dedupe are going to queued ? If yes, was this an upgrade from earlier BE 16. In which case confirm if the dedupe storage got converted successfully to BE 20 dedupe version (DD version 10). You can run the stconv.exe and check if conversion was successful ? If not re-initiat the conversion. If conversion was successful and still backups queued, then check in resource monitor -> network tab -> check on the spoold and spad processes. Are they connecting to the correct host IP?

If it’s OST then will need to check on the which vendor is it and how is the job setup and whether the same backup works to a non OST device etc..

Gurvinder

I was trying to send a private message when I saw that you tagged HP Storeonce. Is that the OST appliance which you are using Philipv ? if yes was it was seen that the Issue about slowness started post upgrading the plugin from version 2 to 4 or you havnted tested  with plugin version 2 ? all cases that have come to support have been for HPE storeonce and not for any other storage vendor. Having said that as a part of the Issue documented here https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100041761 BE engineering has a fix (not available outside for now) which has tuning for all the OST vendors that BE supports and this has also helped with HPE Storeonce. If you are interested then you can email.   https://vox.veritas.com/t5/CPEP-List-of-Interactions/CEP-4396-Backup-Exec-20-2-BETA/td-p/850623

Gurvinder

@NetworkCompany did you open a support case ?

I stopped installing v20 after the second customer due to the issues.  They are both Techsoup non-profit customers so I don't believe they are elegible for support.  They are small organizations, simple to wipe and start over.  I'll eventually get to the larger clients with support contracts.  I disabled the torpedo interface, we'll see how it goes.  I also noticed a hotfix for the inability to update backup jobs to dedup storage after the upgrade, grats on that one, it was a show stopper.

Gurvinder
That’s the response we got from engineering for these hyper v failures. This technote mentions only VMware but seems applicable https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100015286

Gurvinder