cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 R2 Running on MS Small Business Server 2011

Lifeline
Level 1
Partner

Is this supported or will it require an update to BackupExec (asking for both BackupExec and BackupExec System Recovery)?

My guess is that it will work but that a SBS license might not detect that it is running under SBS.

10 REPLIES 10

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

SBS 2011 is not yet supported with BE 2010R2.

BESR you can check in BESR forum.

Regards..

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Lifeline,

Can you please mark the solution and close the discussion?

Regards...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Lifeline,

There is a beta program for the next version of BE. The forum post is on the link below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-beta-backup-exec

Best bet is to get hold of James McKey to get involved in it, and then also see if he can help you with support for SBS 2011.

Rule of thumb would be that there would be some sort of support either with a patch/SP/new version, and this would go for any vendor's software package. None of them would risk a competitor getting an advantage by supporting something they don't.

Laters!

Sam_Manafi
Not applicable

Where can I find the link for upgrade / update for my BE 2010 R2 that works with my new Windows SBS 2011 standard?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

So far there is no update from Symantec about the compatibility of SBS 2011.

BE2010 R3 will be released by next quarter, hopefully R3 will support SBS2011

and Win 2008R2 SP1.

Bob-Aces
Level 3
Partner Accredited

And i've you would like to test the R3 version you need to make a complete new installation.

You can not upgrade the R2 installation to an R3 Beta installation.

CraigV

...no need to put a Beta into production...you would rather advise on testing on another server first.

lwmosher
Not applicable

Is there a program now available that is compatible with SBS 2011?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

R3 is released but it does not support SBS2011, in next few months it will appear in the R3's 

compatibility list.

CraigV

??? Maybe you should check the BE 2010 R3 SCL that is ALREADY out...it clearly states that Windows Small Business Server 2011 is supported by BE 2010 R3 only...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137682&key=15047

The link above refers the OP to the latest SCL which includes all versions of BE 2010. You're interested in Page 14...