Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 R2 job failed - vss writer failed

ThaveshinP
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi ,

MS Exchange server is a virtual machine  on hyper-v server 2008 R2. Backup exec running on windows server 2008 R2.

Selected the MS Exchange server and selected the entire Information Store box when making selections. Backup
job failed last night with the following error. Is there a solution to get the MS Exchange server backed up successfully?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ThaveshinP
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Rebooted exchange server and re-installed RAWS SP1. Checked to see whether the VSS services were running and all working now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked the VSS writer status on the Exchange Server, all the writers should be stable 

without error message.

ThaveshinP
Level 3
Partner Accredited

How do i check the VSS writer status on the Exchange Server  ?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

open command prompt and type vssadmin list writers

Jomy
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

If vss writer showing failed

just restart the exchange server writer issue will get fix..

Regards

Moltron1
Level 5

Couple of suggestions:

You might want to seperate out your exchange stuff into its own job, which may reduce some troubleshooting factors and troubleshooting in general.  I think this is recommended by Symantec as well.

Are you telling the job to use MS VSS writers?  Maybe switch between the automatic setting and the microsoft setting.

Not sure about server 2008, but for 2003 I remember some VSS updates that didnt come through WSUS, so there might be some updates for the writers in 2008 that you don't get without explicitly looking for them.

...My 2 cents

villeah
Level 5

When I had similar problem with Exchange 2003, the solution was to restart the Information Store service. Rebooting the whole server didn't help, but recycling services did.

ThaveshinP
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Rebooted exchange server and re-installed RAWS SP1. Checked to see whether the VSS services were running and all working now.