cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 R3 not committing logs Exchange 2010

Jonk
Level 2

Hello all,

We recently updated our BackupExec to 2010 R3 from version 12. Our Exchange server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and our Media server is running on a Winders Server 2008 box.

We are able to get full backups, jobs are running fine. But the Exchange logs are not committing - running NTBackup on the Exchange box does commit the logs successfully though.

We have the Exchange license installed on BackupExec with the remote agent installed on the Exchange box.

The setting for the job is Full Backup and Commit logs.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you look in the Exchange Management console, and see at the database properties, what is the last date a full database backup is listed ?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH45295

Regards....

Jonk
Level 2

Just checked the Last Full Backup, it shows today when I ran NTBackup.

Jonk
Level 2

Thank you for the link, but AOFO is not enabled.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you select the exchange database in Backup Exec ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jonk,

If you carried those jobs over, try creating a new one and see what happens. Just make it a stand-alone job, run it, and then check and make sure the logs are clearing.

Post back with an update!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have the Exchange 2010 Management tools installed on your Backup Exec server ?

As this is a requirement for exchange 2010 backups.....

Also the MAPI CDO tool need to be installed on the Exchange server.

davestokes
Level 2

Hi, any update here? I have the same problem. The LastFullBackup property is blank for all databases, unless I use NT Backup and then it will update the date (but still won't flush the logs). Interestingly, Circular Logging does not work at all. No obvious VSS errors in the Event Logs.

Server is Exchange 2010 SP1 RU5. It's not the AOFO thing, I've tried installing the latest MAPI CDO and I have the Management Tools installed.

Backups are working fine, just not flushing the logs. I have had to resort to manually deleting logs to buy time while I troubleshoot.

Please help!

CraigV

Does the Windows Backup Utility flush the Exchange logs if you use that?

davestokes
Level 2

No, it just updates the LastFullBackup property to the current date/time but doesnt delete the logs

CraigV

...I'd take a look at Exchange to be honest. We had the same issue. I will try find out how it was fixed, but it wasn't a BE issue in our case.

davestokes
Level 2

I've seen the problem before - last time I applied Exchange SP1 RU3 which sorted it out. But it resurfaced and unfortunately applying RU5 didnt have the same effect as before.

It would be great to learn how you fixed it. I have tried everything short of calling Microsoft!

Cheers