cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 agent crash when backing up VmWare

Tparker_Coast
Level 2
When backing up multiple vmware servers (vsphere 4.0 U1)  after the first server is backed up the beremote agent on the backup server crashes and all the remaining backups are failed with an "Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine." error.

The following is the crash event in the windows event log

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 13.0.2848.0, time stamp: 0x4acc2e76
Faulting module name: vmwaretools.dll, version: 1.0.53.0, time stamp: 0x4aca246d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001c4ac94
Faulting process id: 0x768
Faulting application start time: 0x01caa59ade49bb0d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\vmwaretools.dll
Report Id: 639a8b9a-119a-11df-b9a7-002655d1ba82

I have a debug dmp file that was generated at the time of the latest crash if needed as well.
3 REPLIES 3

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee
Hi Tparker_coast,
From the crash information above, it appears that you are running a Beta build (2848). Can you test this with the Final Release Gold bits and let us know if you still see this issue?

Thanks
Nick

Tparker_Coast
Level 2
 I'll upgrade for tonight's backup.

Just to add more information. For last night's backup i moved the vCenter VM to be backed up last and it appears that this crash only happens when it backs up the vCenter VM itself, i can back up any of my other VMs just fine but that one crashes it. 

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Officially, Symantec does NOT support an in-place upgrade from BETA to GOLD builds.  You must uninstall, do some manual clean-up, and reinstall with GOLD media.

There is no guarantee that they have made their installer so that it will update all of the files that are needed, or that perhaps paths and files changed during the development of the product while it was still BETA.