cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 cannot overwrite LTO2 tapes?

ultan
Level 4
We have a Dell TL4000 tape library with LTO4 drives. We want to erase some data that we have on older LTO2 tapes that were used with a Dell PV132T library. However, if we try and do this we get a error that these tapes are not writeable. Yes I have check if the overwrite clip is "open" on the tape itself but still no luck. Any ideas, do Symantec have any command line tools available for this ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Ultan,

Got the same problem myself, and LTO4 drives will read an LTO2 tape, but not write to them.
You'll have to either buy LTO4 tapes, or LTO3 if budget doesn't allow.
No amount of upgrading drivers and firmware will resolve this unfortunately.

Laters!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Hi Ultan,

Got the same problem myself, and LTO4 drives will read an LTO2 tape, but not write to them.
You'll have to either buy LTO4 tapes, or LTO3 if budget doesn't allow.
No amount of upgrading drivers and firmware will resolve this unfortunately.

Laters!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
LTO tape drives can only write to 1 generation back, i.e, LTO4 can write to LTO3 tapes, but not LTO2 or LTO1 tapes.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
"...

What are the backward compatibility characteristics of the Ultrium format?
The LTO Ultrium compatibility is defined with two concepts demonstrating investment protection: 1) An Ultrium drive can read data from a cartridge in its own generation and two prior generations. 2) An Ultrium drive can write data to a cartridge in its own generation and to a cartridge from the immediate prior generation in the prior generation format.

For example:
- An Ultrium format Generation 5 drive will read and write data on an Ultrium format Generation 4 cartridge as specified by the Generation 4 format and read data on an Ultrium format Generation 3 drive.

- An Ultrium format Generation 4 drive will read and write data on an Ultrium format Generation 3 cartridge as specified by the Generation 3 format and read data on an Ultrium format Generation 2 drive
..."

http://www.ultrium.com/About/faq.html

ultan
Level 4
Fair enough. Thought I would be clever and use the Dell Utility tool to erase the tapes but the damm thing wont install on my W2k8 R2 x64  server. It installs fine on a w2k8 x86 server so for those it might be an easy workaround. Not for me though  ... ;(

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The Dell utility would not be able to erase your LTO2 tape.  The drive is just not capable of writing to LTO2, so the software used is immaterial.

ultan
Level 4
sorry you are right, my bad!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I guess you got your answer.  How about closing out this discussion by marking one of the answers as the solution?

CraigV
Hi there,

Has any of this helped? If so, can you please close off with the solution?

Thanks!