cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 20102 R3 - library support

MK523
Level 3
Partner

I've checked that ORACLE SL150 library is not on the latest HCL list for SBE2010R3. But should it work anyway with BackupExec?

Inquiry string for this device is [STK     SL150           0150].

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...install the latest DDI and make sure it runs properly before closing off this forum query.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Above mentioned hardware may or may not work with Backup Exec. If in case it works and in future

if you come across any issue Symantec will not provide support since it is not listed in the HCL.

MK523
Level 3
Partner

Is there a chance to ask someone about hardware certification process for this device? About plans, possibilities for this device, etc...

NB7 is currently supporting this device (latest HCL).

CraigV

Symantec won't publish a roadmap for support. Have you bought the device, and if so, have you tried to use it with the Symantec drivers?

MK523
Level 3
Partner

I've tried with SBE2010 R3 and drive is recognized, but robotics is not visible Backup Exec device wizard. OS is showing changer correctly (with MS drivers) and tape device (with SYMANTEC drivers).

In adamm.file log i found many entries like below:

Backup Exec was unable to initialize and communicate with the device  [STK     SL150           0150] (The system cannot find the path specified.).  Click the link below for more information on how to diagnose the problem.

What can I try more? Other library with HCL is running correctly with the same media server, so ist not a server problem...

CraigV

...not necessarily. If you have a SCSI/SAS HBA that isn't compatible with the autoloader it can give you issues, so clear that as well.

If Windows doesn't detect the robotics, BE won't, so check for any termination issues too.

Thanks!

MK523
Level 3
Partner

Media server has two FC HBA installed: one 2-port, and one 1-port. Second library is working fine with both FC HBA's connected to, so IMHO it shloudn't be a problem with HBA. Windows is detecting media changer and tape device without any problems - everything is OK under OS.

I think, that SL150 is quite new device (launched about July 2012)... and SBE doesn't recognize robotics....

CraigV

SBE doesn't recognise robotics? Doesn't sound right...Windows needs to detect the robotics in order to pass this through to the backup software (any vendor, doesn't matter).

It would at least detect the robotics as Unknown and use drivers to detect that as: Unknown Medium Changer.

MK523
Level 3
Partner

Both media changers are detected by OS as "Unknown Medium Changer" (Tandberg T40 and Oracle SL150).

CraigV

OK, that is perfect and how it should be detected. Have you tried to see if there are manufacturer drivers you can use/get off the Oracle website and use those?

But if it isn't seeing it properly in Windows, then it's going to be a problem with BE and you either need to hang on until it is supported (BE 2012 also doesn't have support for it!) or swop it out for something that is supported. The second option might not be viable...

Thanks!

MK523
Level 3
Partner

I will check Oracle drivers... but do you think that can it help for SBE...

If Oracle want to replace old series SL24, SL48 and SL500 by this model I hope that Symantec team will support it soon. Would be nice to have it.

Thanks a lot!

CraigV

...most drives are all rebadged "something"...Quantum, HP etc. If you can find out what the drive is you can try that manufacturer's drivers if the Oracle drivers don't work.

Can't comment on Symantec support as I am not privvy to that information (neither are most forumites).

Thanks!

CraigV

The OS would see the library, whether or not it loaded the drivers. If it didn't have the drivers, it would be detected as unknown hardware.

Try the following:

1. Unpresent the working library.

2. Unpresent the Oracle SL150, and then represent it.

3. Run tapeinst.exe and make sure the drivers are installed.

4. Restart the BE services and try running a backup.

Thanks!

MK523
Level 3
Partner

I have found some inf on Oracle Support website.....

[ID 1481764.1] 14-Sep-2012

The SL150 tape library has been tested & is supported at the following levels of 3rd party
software.

- Symantec Netbackup 6.5.x or above.
- Symantec BackupExec 12.5.x or above.
- Legato NetWorker 7.5.x or above.
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.2.x or above.
- CA ArcServ 11.5.x or above.

[ID 1495340.1] 08-Oct-2012

Symptoms
Backup software does not see the library or recognize the drive.
Cause
Possible backup application driver for the library and/or the device driver for the LTO drive is needed.
Solution
The backupapplication needs to load their ddriver for the library and/or drives. This may require a restart of the backup application or a reinstallation of the drivers supplied by the backup application.
If the customer is using the driver from the drive vendor and not the backup application driver for the
drives, then the latest driver needs to be installed for the drive from that specific drive vendor.
Note: The backup application bendor may need to be engaged to supply the latest version of their drivers for the library and/or drives.

Nice, isn't it?

How did they tested thib lib with SBE?

MK523
Level 3
Partner

I have tried many times, but its still not working at all.

Thanks a lot for your help!

L8er007
Level 2

Has there been any news or solution to this issue yet ? 

I also have the same issue with BE12.5 and a SL150.

MK523
Level 3
Partner

Nothing new. I have tested SL150 with SBE2012 also and problem is exactly the same. Robotics is not recognized by SBE, but drive is OK. What kind of interface are you using? FC or SAS? I have tested with FC only...

L8er007
Level 2

I have tested with a SAS drive connected to an IBM and to a LSI HBA.  Both return the same error.

I would agree that the robotics are not supported by SBE2012. 

Does anyone know how the below is even true ?  And if so where these "drivers" can be found as they dont seem to be anywhere obvious.

[ID 1481764.1] 14-Sep-2012

The SL150 tape library has been tested & is supported at the following levels of 3rd party
software.

[ID 1495340.1] 08-Oct-2012

Symptoms
Backup software does not see the library or recognize the drive.
Cause
Possible backup application driver for the library and/or the device driver for the LTO drive is needed.
Solution
The backupapplication needs to load their ddriver for the library and/or drives. This may require a restart of the backup application or a reinstallation of the drivers supplied by the backup application.
If the customer is using the driver from the drive vendor and not the backup application driver for the
drives, then the latest driver needs to be installed for the drive from that specific drive vendor.
Note: The backup application bendor may need to be engaged to supply the latest version of their drivers for the library and/or drives.

MK523
Level 3
Partner

Thanks. Its very important information for me. I thought that problem could be with FC interface, but now it seems to be a bigger problem.

Oracle Support suggest that its not problem with hardware, because OS has two of devices (drive and robot) installed correctly.

Today I have tested this library with following versions of SBE using FC HBA HP AE311A, AE312A:

- SBE 12.5 + SP4 + all fixes

- SBE 2010 R3 + SP2 + all fixes

- SBE 2012 + SP1 + all fixes

In every scenario, behaviour is the same. From OS point of view all devices are recognized and working correctly. From SBE point of view only drive is recognized, robotics NOT. Discovering devices generaly taking much time.

Interesting is that ORACLE article confirm that it has been tested and supported. Look at this:

software.

The SL150 tape library has been tested with the following HBA's.

F/C (Fibre Channel)
- Emulex: LP1100x, LPE110x, LPE1200x & LPE1250x
- qLogic: QLA246x, QLE246x & QLE256x
- SUN: SG-XPCIE1FC-QF8-Z & EM8Z and SG-XPCIE2FC-QF4-Z & QF8-Z & EM4-Z & EM8-Z
- IBM: 5758, 5759, 5773, 5774 & 5735
- HP: AB378A, AB379B, AD3000A & AD355A

SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)
- SUN: SG-XPCI8SAS-E-Z & SG-XPCIE8SAS-E-Z & EB-Z * 3Gb (SAS-1)
- SUN: SGX-SAS6-EXT-Z and SGX-SAS6-EM-Z ** 6Gb (SAS-2) Unsupported on Solaris

Note:
The latest information can be found in the SL150 SAG (Systems Assurance Guide) http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35103_01/en/E22579/E22579_01.pdf

My hardware parts are on the list mentioned in article: SBE 12.5, 2010R3, 2012 + FC HBA QLE2460/2462. Latest firmware of FC HBA + latest FC StorPort drivers.

MK523
Level 3
Partner

Could it be possible for You to test this library with SBE 2010R3 or/and SBE 2012?

For me all possible configurations with two owning FC HBA & three different version of SBE have been tested with result NOT WORKING!