cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010R3 B2D Setup

Dursh
Level 2

Hey Guys,

Currently, I have a dual driver Dell TL2000 LTO4 which basically does a full backup of our servers nightly. I take a each nights backup offsite with me and the Friday night's backup goes down to our offsite vault each Monday.

I have now been told to setup BackupExec to do nightly B2D, and I'm not 100% as to which way to go about it.
I have a storage server with about 7TB, which has the Backup Exec 2010R3 installed on it.

Now I need to backup roughly 4TB of data nightly, which will then be backed up to LTO4 tapes during the day, which I'll take offsite

I know this sounds extremely stupid and I totally agree. But for some god awful reason, this company will not allow me to differential backups during the week. Everything must be FULL BACKUP and this is what they want...

So now I'm trying to wrap my head around how all this is going to work through BE in regards to catalogs and restores.
Obviously, I'm going to have to basically setup a Media Set that has a 1day overwrite period and have the BFK files associated to this Media set.

My brain is hurting please help :(

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Media Set that has a 1day overwrite period..

Choose anything less than oneday and AP NONE , so that your nextdays backups will overwrite the existing one. Choose the job to start as Overwrite only and change the media management option to Overwrite Recyclable media in the target media set Before overwriting Scratch Media.

But if you duplicate to tape job fails and if your next B2D job starts overwriting the bkf file, you will be in trouble.

Regards....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you company is insisting on Full every night then that should be justfication to add more disk space to the server.

Bear in mind that Granular Recovery (GRT) operations work way more efficiently from disk than tape (and in fact you need disk space to do GRT from tape anyway due to the staging requirements ) which should help justify why you need disk based storage (with duplication to tape)

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You have three options:

1. add more storage to the server --> hardware cost
  2. buy the deduplication option of backup exec --> license cost
  3. go for an appliance

In the end I think it's cheaper to buy the license!

1. When you go for more storage, please follow these guidelines:

The initial size for the B2D volumes are set to 4GB. Extend the size to the size of the smallest backup and set it to full-allocation. This wil ensure that everything is written in bigger files that will enhance the performance. Secondly, I have noticed that the backup will run slower and slower during time caused by disk fragementation. Enable defragementation on these disks, but enable them when you have the ability to stop the services. Also if you have the ability, define more than one Backup-to-disk volume (it may reside on the same raidset).

2. Deduplication (puredisk engine)

By using this license, you will have the ability to perform client- and mediaserver-based deduplication. Deduplication is process where the software will compare different blocks on disk. If you have the same blocks, it will not store the data on disk but make a pointer to the previously stored block. As this company want's a full back every night, you will greatly decrease the needed diskspace and also the storage-cost. (do not enable disk defragmentation on these disks!!!!!!)

3. Appliance

I have tested the data domain appliance in our demo environment and noticed the booster software for backup exec. You can use the appliance as vtl (configure your backupsoftware to use only one stream per virtual tape device) or as nas. When you add the deduplication option, you will get the ability to use booster software (it divides calculations between appliance and media server).

If this helped you, please mark it as solution. Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Extend the size to the size of the smallest backup and set it to full-allocation

The gain in speed will be more than offset by the loss of disk space when the data just barely exceeds the BKF file size (and this will happen, sooner or later).  You can increase the BKF file size somewhat, but going to the size of the backup set is asking for trouble especially with as little disk space as is currently available

teiva-boy
Level 6

To move 4TB of data to a target, nightly is no small feat.  

Makes sure to break up jobs to disk into smaller jobs that run concurrently, so as to maximize the parallelism allowed with BackupExec to disk.