cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010R3 sichern von Vmware Maschinen

RBS_Berlin
Level 3

Hallo,

wir verwenden BackupExec seit über 10 Jahren im Unternehmen um physische Server zu sichern. Nun sind wir gerade dabei den ersten ESXi Cluster aufzubauen um unsere physischen Server nach und nach in virtuelle zu convertieren. Bevor wir jedoch damit anfangen, muss ich mich ums Backup kümmern. Von BackupExec gibt es den Agenten für VMware. Diesen habe ich als Testversion installiert, einen Login Account (Administrator im gesamten vCenter + Vererbung auf alle VM's) für das vCenter erstellt, sowie das vCenter in der Sicherungsauswahlliste hinzugefügt. Daraufhin habe ich einen Sicherungsjob mit einer VMware erstellt.

Nach dem Start des Jobs sehe ich im vCenter das BackupExec einen Snapshoot ausführt und dieser auch abgeschlossen wird. Nach der Fertigstellung des Snapshoots dauert es ca. 5 Sekunden bevor er wieder entfernt wird. In Backup Exec erhalte ich eine Fehlermeldung mit der ich leider nicht viel anfangen kann. Im Auftragprotokoll steht mal das ich keinen Zugriff habe und dann wieder das der Medienserver etwas mit der Sicherung nicht aushandeln kann.

Ich finde im Administratorhandbuch leider keinen Hinweis zur Konfiguration. Muss ich auf dem Medienserver eine Software von VMware installieren? Muss ich außer dem Backup Account im vCenter noch irgendwelche Berechtigungen hinterlegen? Es wäre super wenn Ihr mir helfen könntet, weil ich bis nächste Woche die Lizenzen für BackupExec bestellen muss.

Gruß

RBS Berlin 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RBS_Berlin
Level 3

Problem solved. To enable the SAN transport mode i had to configure my backup exec media server. Microsoft windows automount all new LUN's, so i had to disable the automount function.

To do this open cmd and type diskpart. After them type automount disable and wait for acknowledge. Exit the diskpart and close cmd. After this one you can use the SAN transport mode.

I think that Symantec should be written this one in the manual for administrators, but there is no notice about this configure.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Which transport mode are you using in the VMware settings of the job? - if only selected SAN then try as a test with NBD

RBS_Berlin
Level 3

We are using Hotadd and SAN. I have teste only SAN or only Hotadd but nobody success.

Colin_Weaver

Ok so HotAdd will only work with the media server inside a virtual machine (which we don't recommend for other reasons) and SAN will only work with media server on a physical machine, so one of those will always fail to work.

If using SAN you also have to present the LUNs holding the datastores to the physical media server - if you have not done this then SAN will fail.

NBD is a LAN transport so you should try it as a test as if this works it will mean that either your environment is not configured correctly, or your environment does not support the mode you are trying to use.

RBS_Berlin
Level 3

NBD works fine, but what is the problem by using HotAdd or SAN. The media server is a physical machine with iSCSI access to our equallogic.

What is the most efficent method to backup vmware (grt) and wich licenses we need to do this? 

Colin_Weaver

OK so HotAdd is a unique transpoort that mounts the snapshot of the virtualmachine directly into a virtual machine that is the media server - this process is a VMware process and will not work with a Physical media server (VMware design limitation)

Why SAN mode is not working on your physical machine using an Equallogic array needs more troubleshooting - I have seen iSCSI SAN Transport backups from Equalogic work so it is probably a configuration issue.

DO the SAN disks/LUN that hold your datastores show up in the Windows Disk Management on the Media Server as Online and Healthy (Unknown Partition) but with no drive letters?

RBS_Berlin
Level 3

Yes i can see the SAN discs/LUN of the storage, where i want to backup the VM. The SAN disc has no drive letter, is online and the healthy is unknow partition.

Is the vSphere client on the mediaserver a known requstet for transport over SAN? 

RBS_Berlin
Level 3

Problem solved. To enable the SAN transport mode i had to configure my backup exec media server. Microsoft windows automount all new LUN's, so i had to disable the automount function.

To do this open cmd and type diskpart. After them type automount disable and wait for acknowledge. Exit the diskpart and close cmd. After this one you can use the SAN transport mode.

I think that Symantec should be written this one in the manual for administrators, but there is no notice about this configure.

Colin_Weaver

So in effect this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155831