cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2012 on Small Business Server 2011 - Sharepoint Resources vs. Farm Backup

FlorianG
Not applicable

I recently set up BackupExec 2012 SP1 Small Business Edition on a Small Business Server 2011 Standard Edition for a small company of <5 users. After installing SP1 and the latest hotfixes the backup started to complete with exceptions (which ran fine before) stating that severel databases and database files couldn't be backed up because they belong to SharePoint and would need to be backed up using the BE SharePoint Agent. At the same time the SharePoint Server Farm started showing up in the BE Servers view.

I'm aware of the Forum post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-completed-exceptions-sharepoint-server-farm-co... and several others concerning this issue and I already did several things:

- Create new backup job for the SharePoint farm selecting a full backup
- Remove Sharepoint Resources from server backup
- Remove SharePoint databases from SQL Agent selection lists
- Remove Sharepoint database *.mdf and *.ldf files from drive C: selection lists

but the backup still completes with exceptions (not to mention that deselecting those files disables SDR for the server !?).

I know that by the end of July SP2 for BE 2012 is supposed to be released which hopefully adresses this issue but my questions are:

1.) Will SP2 also be available for the Small Business Edition of BE2012 ?

2.) Will SP2 address and finally solve this issue ?

3.) Since I only have this one SBS server, do I need to backup SharePoint using the Server Farm node or can I simply delete the Server Farm and use the local SharePoint Resources in the main server backup selection (which was running fine before installing SP1 and hotfixes AND would only need one single job to do it) ?

Any help/information/experiences would be appreciated ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes SP2 will be available for SBE versions as well

As for the issue that you are facing, I am not sure if the SP would address it automatically unless it is one of the known issues scheduled to be fixed. Ideally would suggest you to open a case with support and troubleshoot.

3.) Since I only have this one SBS server, do I need to backup SharePoint using the Server Farm node or can I simply delete the Server Farm and use the local SharePoint Resources in the main server backup selection (which was running fine before installing SP1 and hotfixes AND would only need one single job to do it) ?

Backups of SharePoint are always recomended through a farm node. I am not sure what you meant -"deleting the Farm" If you are not using SharePoint, I don't see any reason to backup either the farm or any of the resources.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Yes SP2 will be available for SBE versions as well

As for the issue that you are facing, I am not sure if the SP would address it automatically unless it is one of the known issues scheduled to be fixed. Ideally would suggest you to open a case with support and troubleshoot.

Backups of SharePoint are always recomended through a farm node. I am not sure what you meant -"deleting the Farm" If you are not using SharePoint, I don't see any reason to backup either the farm or any of the resources.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Florian,

--> YES. SP2 will be released for Small Business Edition of BE2012 too.

--> Unfortunately this will not be released in SP2.

--> Its always recommended that you perform backup of SharePoint using the Server Farm node.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Sush...