cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2012 v. 14 - Jobs get placed on hold

dotitadmin
Level 3

A few weeks ago over a weekend none of my jobs ran.  And when I opened the console they showed to have been placed on HOLD.  I didn't think anything about it, just turn off HOLD and things were fine.  Then a week goes by and it happens again.  First thing I did was to reinstall BackupExec.  That actually resolved it up until today.  I came in this morning and they missed backups since Thursday.  (I was off Friday so I didn't check it)  If you're thinking it's just my weekend jobs, that's not it.  The 2nd time it happened was on a Tuesday night.

The difference now is that I turn them off HOLD and they go through the cycle of starting up and immediately go back to HOLD.  It's not ALL my jobs though.  And there's no pattern either, like sometimes it will be my FULL backups and other times my INCREMENTAL.   I have 3 servers and sometimes it happens on 2 of my server jobs and other times just 1server's jobs.

I've got plenty of storage space, no errors there.  No other errors either.

I'm running it on a Windows 2003 Server (R1).  Before you trip out on me I'm slated to install a brand new 2012 Server in February so I'll be ready when Microsoft drops 2003.   Anyway, I'm at my wit's end.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Unfortunately, BE 2014 does not support Server 2003. It needs a minimum of Server 2003 R2

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

If you are currently running Backup Exec 2014, then PKH is correct in stating that it does not support being installed on Server 2003. You can verify that in the software compatibility list locate here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH217478/be_2014_scl.html

If you are running Backup Exec 2012, then I would suggest confirming the jog queue is not on hold by verify the steps located in the following documentation:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187277

dotitadmin
Level 3

Thank you Laurie for clarification.  I am running 2012 on my 2003 server, not 2014.  I'm looking at upgrading to that when I replace my server in early 2015.

Thanks,

dotitadmin
Level 3

By the way, that URL you gave me for the HOLD ISSUE is just a simple KB with the instruction to "uncheck the HOLD button to turn it off."  I think I figured that much out on my own, the problem is that re-checks itself for no reason.

Thanks,  

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

dotitadmin,

Can you verify a few more things for me so I may have a clear understanding of the environment, to better assist you?

1. Has this always been an issue or recently started?
  2. Was Backup Exec 2012 an upgrade from a previous version, and if so were the jobs migrated over?
  3. Are you backing up to disk or to tape?
  4. When the jobs were created were they scheduled to run once (or now), with no reoccurring schedule?

dotitadmin
Level 3
  1. Has this always been an issue or recently started?
    No, this started about 3 months ago.  It would happen, then I'd turn them all back on and re-install and it would go away for a while.  
  2. Was Backup Exec 2012 an upgrade from a previous version, and if so were the jobs migrated over?
    No, I've always had BackupExec 2012.  The jobs were created in 2012.
  1. Are you backing up to disk or to tape?
    I'm backing up to a disk.  Seagate 5TB external drive.

2. When the jobs were created were they scheduled to run once (or now), with no reoccurring schedule?
    I have 2 jobs per server (3 servers).  1 is a full backup and the other is an incremental backup.  No changes were made to the jobs whenever this problem would happen.

Thank you for your help with this!

Jamie

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Is the Seagate external disk storage being swapped out or rotated between the jobs? If this is the case, be sure to “Inventory and Catalog” the external device when it is swapped out on the server.

If you are using one external device and it pretty much sits stationary on the server, then I would open up Event Viewer within Windows and check the “Application” and “System” events during the same time stamp of the job schedule. Check to see if there is anything that may be rebooting the server or performing activity that would interfere with the backup process.

Let me know if this helps.

dotitadmin
Level 3

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I have never "cataloged" the device when I swap it out.  I did when I first installed it, but it's always seemed to recognize it when I plug it on the swap.  Regardless, I'll go through the process of inventoring and cataloging each time.

I will start practicing this immediately and after a week of it I'll reply back, unless of course I hit a snag in which case I'll reply before.

Laurie, thanks again for your help!  You are a lifesaver.  I hope you have a fantastic Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Jamie,

Your welcome and I am happy to help. Please let me know if this resolves the issue for you. I hope you have a safe and happy holiday season as well.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no need to catalog the disk.  An inventory would be sufficient.