cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2014 - Client side dedup on DCs (Domain Controllers)

goli123
Level 3

Hello everybody,

In my environment I backup physical servers using client side dedup option to reduce network usage on backup windows. 

I noticed that backup of my DCs fails consistently after trying many different setting I found that when I use normal dedup  (not client side) my backup jobs finished successfully.

I wonder, did anyone else have the same problem? or did anyone succeeded on backing up DCs using client side dedup?

Note: I tried backing up both 2008R2 and 2012 servers with DC role and I see the issue on both versions.

The error that I get when trying to backup using client side dedup is:

Job Completion Status

Job ended: Monday, July 21, 2014 at 11:04:22 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
Final error category: Server Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65072

Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup
V-79-57344-65072 - An error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec Remote Agent on the Backup Exec server. Ensure that the job options are correct, and then submit the job again. The backup set was not created.

V-79-57344-41488 - Due to one or more errors in \\DC_FQDN\System?State, this backup cannot be used for conversion to virtual machines, Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR), or a complete online restore.

Hope this helps someone, if anyone have a different solution I would like to hear.

David.

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The communications error which you are receiving is preventing the use of client-side dedupe. I would recommend to start off with this KB to try to fix this error - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77683

goli123
Level 3

I tried following this KB (leave the fact that first suggestion is to cancel client side dedup), most of it is highly irrelevant for BE2014 and the rest didn't solve the issue. Do you know if someone actually succeeded on backing up a DC server using client side dedup with BE2014?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no restriction as such when using client-side dedupe with a DC backup. You may have to check the debug logs and adamm.log to check why the communications failure occurs.

goli123
Level 3

I have many servers that I backup without a problem and I'm not able to backup any of my DCs using client side dedup. I can start looking into logs but I prefer to see before that if other people can do it. I know that there is no "by-design" restriction for client-side dedup but you do understand that this is a new version of BE so most likely that a few bugs still exists.

If you are able to backup a DC(2008R2/2012) using client side dedup with BE2014 I would be more than happy to dive into the logs. If not I will wait and see if other people are getting the same problem.

Thanks.