cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2014 - Identical mediaID for new tapes

SDArc
Level 2

Hi,

I ordered new HP LTO5 cartridges for my Backup Exec 204 server. But I have an issue to add these news tapes into a media set.

The problem is that my 3 new tapes have all the same media ID in BackupExec. I add my first tape, label it "Tape1" and add it to the right media set, no problem.

And when I insert the second tape, this tape as the exact same label, media ID, than the first one ... And same problem with the third tape.

So, how can I have a different media ID for each tape ? I don't get the problem because last year I added new tapes without any issue.

Thank you for your answers

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are you using the EJECT function in Backup Exec when the label job is done?  It sounds like Backup Exec isn't realizing that you changed tapes between label jobs.  Running an EJECT job will make sure that BE knows that you have changed tapes.

I also suggest that you do NOT move tapes into a media set.  Let BE move it from SCRATCH for you.  If you put a tape into a media set, it immediately inherits the protection rules, so you would not be able to overwrite that empty tape for whatever period you have selected for that media set.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your answer, I don't use the eject function of BackupExec, I eject tape with the button on the tape reader. But before insert a new tape, I run an invetory to make sur BackupExec understand that there is no tape and after that I insert the new tape.

For the media set, I understand you opinion but these new tapes must replace old ones son there is no problem for inherits the protection rules

Any other ideas ?

Thanks for your help