cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 9.1 with HP DAT 72x6 Autoloader

George-H
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I've recently been handed the task of looking after a v.small company's two Dell servers. The main one has runs Windows SBS 2003 SP2 with BackupExec 9.1 and they've recently aquired a 2nd hand HP DAT 72x6 Autoloader. Now, I've been through all the threads on here I could find relating to this and think I've covered most of the bits needed to get BackupExec to recognise this bit of kit. However, they all make mention of :

"Device Driver Installer (20050115) Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45)"

Unfortunately, every link I've found to this appears to result in a dead end (probably meaning that, being such an old product it has been "archived"). I don't suppose anyone could help out by letting me know where I can obtain this download from. This is a very small company so I don't think upgrading is going to be much of an option for them - particularly in these financial times.....

Much appreciated

George

wink

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Will PM you SP5 & the last device drivers released for this version...however, pls do not this version is EOLd & getting such updates would be next to impossible

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that appears to be for BE 10...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH42405

You might want to run LiveUpdate a couple of times in order to download the latest patches. Alternatively, convince the customer to upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which has better support for the latest hardware and software. UNless they've maintained support over the years that have passed between BE 9.1 and 2010 R3, they're going to have to pay for it.

It would be worth it though...

teiva-boy
Level 6

BackupExec 9.1, ah, that brings me back to 1999 circa 2001 era...

I'm not kidding, the customer hasn't upgraded not becuase of cost, but becuase of not having the right consultant over the years.  Make it right.  Cost is not an issue if you cannot restore data!  Get a current and supported product.

George-H
Level 3

VeritasUpdate doesn't work - keeps saying No Supported Veritas Products, having said that the install is a bit of a mess. Neither does it help when it appears Symantec appear to have killed just about everything to do with 9.1, support documents and downloads included.

Persuading the customer to spend more money is going to be v.hard - especially in the current financial climate, but your right about not having the right IT consultant over the years. The problem that creates is that they are (rightly) very distrustful of ANY so-called IT consultant now. The last one said their existing DAT72 drive needed replacing because the so-calle IT engineer they sent had no idea how to properly clean it. The previous ones were just as bad judging by the mess of a setup they left (which they charged a large amount of money for).

So, like it as not I'm going to have to exhaust the possibilities with this one first.

CraigV

BE 9.1 was end-of-life in 2007 already. I poked around and found some patches on the link below...check it out.

Your main selling points will be: No support for any new hardware/software; no support from Symantec due to the software being EOL; no patches will be released due to no further development on the software.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=15047&channel=TECHNICAL_SOLUTION&bas...

George-H
Level 3

EOL isn't going to be much of a selling point, as their argument is "what does it do that the current one doesn't that we're willing to pay for?". I did it for their anti-virus, but that was a bit easier as the regularly updates for that are essential. After all they're running XP desktops and SBS 2003 back-end.

I've seen the patches btw - nice but not nearly as useful as the service packs and drivers still being on-line, which are the main items which seem to have disappeared. A situation I keep comming across - some suppliers being worse than others in that they treat EOL product as if it never existed and remove ALL references to it. Is disk space THAT expensive.....

CraigV

wink...nice one!

I think that it's maybe a case of trying to get you to upgrade to something that is newer, and more widely supported.

George-H
Level 3

Getting them to upgrade is the last resort that they'll go for - and I'll have to show I've exhausted the possibilities first.frown

But if anyone comes across any of the service packs and driver updates for 9.1 in the meantime - I'd be very very grateful!blush

Oh the trials of providing IT support to the miriad of small companies at the trailing edge of technology... But it keeps them going (and in business!), is rewarding (and fun), and damned it's nice to be the thorn in the side of Microsoft et al from time to time devil. Though even I draw the line at IE6!laugh

George

CraigV

1. Check for BE 9.1's EOL date and make a note of that.

2. Download the latest BE 2010 R3 SCL/HCL documents and keep those as proof of what the software can now support (like LTO5 drives; NAS; Exchange 2010; Sharepoint 2010 etc).

3. Show them the Support site with regards to the Downloads section and they will see there is nothing available.

I'd say that if they kept paid-up support you should log a call with Symantec to get the patches, but they probably don't have that.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Will PM you SP5 & the last device drivers released for this version...however, pls do not this version is EOLd & getting such updates would be next to impossible

George-H
Level 3

Hi

Very much appreciated! It will at least keep them going while I build a case for putting their hands in their pockets.  Getting closer - a more detailed examination shows the install to be a real botch job, installed TWICE to different locations with data stored in a THIRD. Probably explains why the License and Installation option on the Tools menu doesn't work. So if SP5 and the drivers don't do it, and they can't find the original license keys (probably), ruling out a re-install they may have no choice....

Once again very much appreciated!

Georgesmiley