cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec Catalog Error

ZahaSupport
Level 2

Looking for some help here. I will first admit that i don't know BE all that well, but this alert is being generated and because I don't know enough about BE and its inner workings I'm having a hard time chasing this down.

My client has BE15 which I know is outside support now. This is what it is, and no I don't know why they're running such an old version.

The errors which suddently started one evening, and repeat every couple of seconds for about 8 minutes are:

Backup Exec Alert: Catalog Error
(Server: "xxxxxxx") ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database.

Access to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.
Reason: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]An error occurred in the Microsoft .NET Framework while trying to load assembly id 65648. The server may be running out of resources, or the assembly may not be trusted with PERMISSION_SET = EXTERNAL_ACCESS o CCatRecordSet::Open
r:\evans\1180.3142r\becat\segodbc\seg_odbc.cpp(1891)
{ CALL DeleteCatMediaByMediaGuid( ?, ?, ? ) }

Veritas support won't help because the product is out of support but advise that the client is eligible for BE20 because they're paying for maintenance. However, I don't know what the upgrade path is and what the risks of updgrading in place are when the alerts indicate there is something wrong. Again, Veritas support won't offer support on this because BE15 is out of support. But I'm concerned that if I upgrade I'll still be unsupportable because I upgraded from a broken starting point. The client is happy to upgrade to BE20 but want assurance this is going to be with Veritas support, but it won't be, because we're starting from an unsupported place.They pointed me at these forums for "support".

So:

1- Any idea how to fix the alerts? There are thousands of them and I've run out of ideas. I've rolled back dotnet updates, VC++ Redistributable updates (which occured a couple of days before the alerts started). I've tried repairing the databse and indices using BEUtil. I've cranked up the debug logging but nothing stands out.

2 - How easy is the inplace upgrade, and is running it while this alert condition exists problematic? I don't want to make a bad situation worse, bascially.

TIA

2 REPLIES 2

Shiju_Chacko
Level 4

Hi,

If you have maintenance. Best is to Upgarde by logging a ticket and explain everything.

Rest will take care by Veritas Team. Its my personal experince.

Shiju

Thanks & Regards,
Shiju Chacko

Thanks, but Veritas have already closed my ticket down and wouldn't answer the question on the upgrade path due to the starting point being out of support. They actively pointed me at this forum for help.