cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec Failing LU

hulahoop_
Level 3

Hi,

I have recently noticed that my BackupExec services havent been running. After a little bit of detective work it would seem the stop when LU tries to install an update. I can restart the services manually and they work fine and backups go ahead as scheduled. Ive also changed the recover setting for the services to restart but still no sucess. When LU runs I get the following message:

The following Symantec products and components are installed on your computer.
> Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010

Initializing...
Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...

Downloading catalog file (1 of 1), complete.
Opening update list
The digital signature found on the catalog file has been signed by Symantec Corporation.
Processing update list
Opening update list
Processing update list

The following updates have been found:
> Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010,  30314.7 KB
Total Download 30314.7 KB

Downloading Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 (1 of 1), complete.

Installing Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 (1 of 1), failed.
LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran.  This update was not applied.

Installation failed, error summary...
LU1806: LiveUpdate downloaded all of the updates you requested, but all of them failed to install.  Please try to get the updates at a later time.

LiveUpdate session is complete.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi hulahoop,

I've seen this happen before, and I got around it by installing the patch manually. Do so, and if this doesn't start up the BE services afterwards, then the issue lies with BE itself, and not a possibly corrupt LiveUpdate/patch download.

You can also make sure that there are no jobs running during your LiveUpdate...failing that, a manual download/install should work...

In this case, you can do 1 of 2 things: repair the DB through BEutility, or run a repair on the software itself through Add/Remove Programs.

@sazz: The issue isn't a confirmation on what an update does by stopping and then starting the processes...the OP states that when the update tries to run and fails, the services DON'T start up again like they should!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When LU runs it stops and start the services of BE and that is normal as it has to stop the services to integrate the changes win the Backup Exec.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi hulahoop,

I've seen this happen before, and I got around it by installing the patch manually. Do so, and if this doesn't start up the BE services afterwards, then the issue lies with BE itself, and not a possibly corrupt LiveUpdate/patch download.

You can also make sure that there are no jobs running during your LiveUpdate...failing that, a manual download/install should work...

In this case, you can do 1 of 2 things: repair the DB through BEutility, or run a repair on the software itself through Add/Remove Programs.

@sazz: The issue isn't a confirmation on what an update does by stopping and then starting the processes...the OP states that when the update tries to run and fails, the services DON'T start up again like they should!

Thanks!

hulahoop_
Level 3

I'll give this ago.

Can you tell me how to install them manually I cant think off hand how to do itangry

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Fo to the Product download page at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=15047&channel=TECHNICAL_SOLUTION&bas...

Filter for your version and patches

Download them and apply in chronological order

hulahoop_
Level 3

Thanks, Ive managed to do a manual update and this has solved the problem