cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec Hyper-V availability (within BackupExec 2010 or seperate?)

GSS4
Level 2

Hi,

I have downloaded the trial of Symantec BackupExec 2010 but I am a little confused: The agent for Hyper-V is available and for sale ($1800 or something), but the trial of BackupExec tells me i can install the agents I need from the installer.

Can I install a full version of BackupExec, providing I have the license, but also install a full version of the Hyper-V agent? Or do I have to download/buy this seperately? Is a trial version available for the agents?

As is probably obvious from this thread, I am a bit confused about the business model of this product. Please clarify.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
You really should get a reseller involved that can help you and knows how the product works and is implemented.  They are also well versed in the licensing of the product.

By the sounds of it, you are new to BackupExec (even though it's been out for more than 10 years.)

When you download the trial, it is everything.  It'll work in trial mode with whatever agents you choose to enable at the time of installation.  If you do not put in a license key, the feature/option will work for 60 days, then expire.  It can only be re-enabled with a purchased license key.

The product is also licensed with a lot of options..  You have the base Backup Exec install, tape drive licenses, virtual agents, application agents, server agents, archiving options, deduplication, etc...  

Again it's best you get a reseller to walk you through the licensing, even better is to find a local reseller that can do the sale and the installation for you.

nhej-
Level 5
Employee
If you are running a trial version, all agents and options of BUE are included and it will run for 60 days. After 60 days, you need purchase licenses for your BUE. You may call our sales department at 1-800-745-6054 opt 3 for more information regarding products.