cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec - SQL Agent - Granular Recovery Technology

cmmitw
Level 2

Hi there, I'm trying to figure out if the SQL agent is going to allow me to do individual record restores in a SQL database when installed directly on a MS 2008 Server and not in conjunction with Hyper-V and VMware.

Looking at the admin guide (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC2211&key=15047&actp=LIST) I can see that it says:

"You can also enable the granular recovery of Microsoft Exchange, SQL, and Active Directory application data that resides on virtual machines."

But I can't find anywhere in the document that states that GRT can be enabled with the default SQL agent installed at the server OS level.

• Does this mean I have to be using VMware to do granular recovery on a SQL database?
  • If not, where does it tell me that I can use the default SQL agent to do granular recovery?

I need some documentation before I can get the purchase approved. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The passage from the Admin Guide that you quoted referred to a situation where the SQL Server is in a VM.  If you install a SQL Agent in the VM, then you can restore a SQL database without restoring the whole VM.  Without a SQL Agent, you would have to restore the whole VM if you want to restore even a single SQL database.

I'm trying to figure out if the SQL agent is going to allow me to do individual record restores in a SQL database when installed directly on a MS 2008 Server and not in conjunction with Hyper-V and VMware.

BE SQL Agent invokes the SQL Server API to do its magic.  It can do what SQL Server is capable of.  I don't think SQL Server allows you to restore a single record.  This might lead to database inconsistency.  However, SQL Server, and hence BE, is capable of point-in-time restore which is the closest that you would get to a single record restore.  Point-in-time restore is only possible if you are using transaction logs for your SQL databases.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Does this mean I have to be using VMware to do granular recovery on a SQL

database?

Its not necessary that the SQL has to be on a VM. If you have the license for SQL 

agent then you can perform GRT backups & restore from a physical  machine too.

So the requirement to backup SQL is SQL agent license and Remote agent on SQL

server. 

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Please see the attached pdf which describes the working of SQL agent when installed on windows OS

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The passage from the Admin Guide that you quoted referred to a situation where the SQL Server is in a VM.  If you install a SQL Agent in the VM, then you can restore a SQL database without restoring the whole VM.  Without a SQL Agent, you would have to restore the whole VM if you want to restore even a single SQL database.

I'm trying to figure out if the SQL agent is going to allow me to do individual record restores in a SQL database when installed directly on a MS 2008 Server and not in conjunction with Hyper-V and VMware.

BE SQL Agent invokes the SQL Server API to do its magic.  It can do what SQL Server is capable of.  I don't think SQL Server allows you to restore a single record.  This might lead to database inconsistency.  However, SQL Server, and hence BE, is capable of point-in-time restore which is the closest that you would get to a single record restore.  Point-in-time restore is only possible if you are using transaction logs for your SQL databases.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

PKH has probably given the best answer but just for info Granular Restore in a VM only means idown to individual Database level it does not mean down to record level either.

cmmitw
Level 2

Okay, so what I'm understanding from this is that it does not work like the Exchange agent (where I can restore a single email)...so that mean's it's not granular, it's just point in time recovery and everything that changed after that point gets wiped out when I do a restore?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. Your understanding is correct.  The granular thing is related to a VM situation as I have explained earlier.

You are not being short-changed.  BE can only do what SQL Server itself is capable of.

If you are happy the the answers, do close off this discussion by marking one of the answers as the solution.

cmmitw
Level 2

Well I'm not happy with the answer but if it's the answer then it is what it is. Thanks!