cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec and Reverse DNS zones

Texkonc
Level 3
Does BackupExec require Reverse DNS zones?
We were having some network issues are looking into if it is really needed for BE.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I have not seen any issues that relate to Reverse DNS zones - and in fact some of our internal test systems probably aren't even configured correctly for Reverse DNS anyway

However if your forward zones aren't working correctly and if if your servers cannot be name resolved by single name and FQDN, then some of the more advanced options and agents might have problems. Basic (i.e. File System Backup) operations can always be done over just IP address.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I cannot see any reason why BE needs reverse DNS zones to work correctly.
Maybe you can explain what is going wrong with BE so we can help.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No it doesn't. In your selection list you can add a server by name, or by IP.
If your DNS is 100%, name will work. If not, use IP address. I do, and this will allow connectivity to a server even if a DC is down for some reason. No reason fo rthe server to try to resolve hostname --> IP.

Cheers!

Hari_Prasad_Das
Level 2
Partner

your DNS server must have to be perfect and for backupexec to run it matters only if you want to add new servers in your process only IP will be enouff to take care of the backup.

Good luck .......

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I have not seen any issues that relate to Reverse DNS zones - and in fact some of our internal test systems probably aren't even configured correctly for Reverse DNS anyway

However if your forward zones aren't working correctly and if if your servers cannot be name resolved by single name and FQDN, then some of the more advanced options and agents might have problems. Basic (i.e. File System Backup) operations can always be done over just IP address.

Texkonc
Level 3

We were having network issues not related to BE, and one of the solutions was to make sure RL is setup.  Since the concences is that it is NOT required, that answers my question.

BE runs on our DC/DNS.  If the job fails due to the DNS being down that is why :)

Thanks.