Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec and SLP

totolitoto
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Hi All,

When someone talks about Data LifeCycle in Backup Exec ... what does he mean ? Is there something like SLP (from NBU) in BE ? If so, since which version ?

Same, when that guy asks about Archiving, I understand they may be interested in Enterprise Vault, or is there something available in BE as an option ?

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When someone talks about Data LifeCycle in Backup Exec ... what does he mean ? Is there something like SLP (from NBU) in BE ? If so, since which version ?

If you are asking about DLM (Data Lifecycle Management) in BE and SLP in NBU, both are entirely different. DLM ensures the data intigrity, Grooming of expired data for backups residing in disk storage and removable disk catridge devices. 

You can read about it here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Simply saying With SLPs, you can define multiple destinations for a backup set with multiple retentions at each locations. Once you define a storage lifecycle policy, NBU takes care about moving data between one  location to other according to the configuration. You can have data classifications assigned to data. 

Same, when that guy asks about Archiving, I understand they may be interested in Enterprise Vault, or is there something available in BE as an option ?

Archiving in BE is just removing files after completing the backup. Just a radio button in backup job properties, where as Enterprise vault is a specifically designed software for archiving and managing unstructured data. If i am not wrong, dedup at source option is also available with EV.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not aware of any Data Lifecyle with respect to BE.  Maybe you can quote some documents/source with uses this term.

There is an Archiving option in BE.

RLeon
   VIP   

Since Backup Exec 2012, you can use the "Add Stage" button in the job configuration screen to add additional duplication targets for the job. If you have access to BE2012, give it a try.

You will find that you can add as many stages as you want.
Effectively this duplication-stages feature is very similar to SLP in NetBackup.
And if you add a stage vertically, it will have the same effect as SLP duplication steps that have the same indentation level. I.e., duplicate from the same upper level.

I believe "Data Lifecycle" is a general way to describe these kind of features in backup applications.
If that person is familar with backup applications, then he probably does mean something like SLP.

As for Archiving, he could either mean something like Enterprise Vault (as you pointed out), or simply tape offsite storage procedures.

Unlike NetBackup, the Archive Option in BE is not for integration with Enterprise Vault. It is in fact, in a way, a BE built-in version of Enterprise Vault (It uses EV technology), which does similar things with Exchange, but not as advanced as the full EV could.
The Archive Option in BE also archives files.

Sometimes when talking about backup applications, some people refer to archiving as long term tape offsite storage. BE does have simple "media vault" features, but it is not as complex as the NetBackup Vault option.

Depending on how much he knows, he could mean alot of things.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are asking about DLM (Data Lifecycle Management) in BE and SLP in NBU, both are entirely different. DLM ensures the data intigrity, Grooming of expired data for backups residing in disk storage and removable disk catridge devices. 

You can read about it here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Simply saying With SLPs, you can define multiple destinations for a backup set with multiple retentions at each locations. Once you define a storage lifecycle policy, NBU takes care about moving data between one  location to other according to the configuration. You can have data classifications assigned to data. 

Archiving in BE is just removing files after completing the backup. Just a radio button in backup job properties, where as Enterprise vault is a specifically designed software for archiving and managing unstructured data. If i am not wrong, dedup at source option is also available with EV.

Srineet_BE
Level 3
Employee

A clarification on the point about archiving in the last reply. In Backup Exec 2010, Backup Exec introduced the File System Archiving Option and Exchange Mailbox Archiving Option. These optons are powered by Enterprise Vault technology. These options provide flexible archiving rules and policies to determine which files or emails should be archived, and the archives are stored in Enteprise Vault-style vault stores and are content indexed. Backup Exec 2010 R3 introduced the Virtual Vault feature for Exchange archive users so that the archived content is available to end users right within Outlook.

More information on the Backup Exec archiving options is available here: https://scm.symantec.com/resources/Backup-Exec-2010-Archiving-Options.pdf

totolitoto
Level 3
Accredited Certified

thx all