cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec for Windows 10d - 32bit backing up 64bit server

Dave_Z
Level 3
My BackupExec resides on a 32bit server.  I recently added a server to the domain that's configured for 64bit.  I tried pushing the Remote Agent out to this server but was unsuccessful.  If I'm able to install a 64bit agent (where can I find that?) will the 32bit server be able to backup the 64bit server?

Thanks,
Dave
14 REPLIES 14

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Push install to 64 bit is not supported with Backup Exec 10d. So, you would have to do a local instal on the target server. You can browse to Backup Exec install folder (e.g. c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\NT). You should see folder agents under it. There you can find installable for RAWS64. Copy this folder to the target machine and execute "setupaa.cmd" or it would be "setupaax64.cmd". This would initiate a silent install and would take some time to run. Once completed, you can verify by checking for "Backup Exec Remote Agent for windows servers" service using services applet. Make sure it is started before initiating a backup job from the Backup Exec server.

Please mark it a solution, if this serves your purpose.
Thanks

Dave_Z
Level 3
Thanks for getting back to me.  I copied the RANT64 and RANT64EX folders from the 32-bit to the 64-bit server.  I double-clicked the "setupaax64.cmd" file and nothing happened for a while and I didn't see the Remote Agent under the Add/Remove Programs or Services.  So I tried double-clicking the "VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers.msi" and got this error:

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type.  Contact your product vendor."

Please advise.

Thanks,
Dave

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What kind of processor is in the 64-Bit server?

v10 supports  x64 and Itanium processors

Dave_Z
Level 3
The server has two Intel Xeon X5472 processors @ 3.00GHz.  Do I need a different verzion than the v10?

Thanks,
Dave

girish_chakki
Level 4
10d what version?..............apply the latest service pack for this and do the installation manually by copying rant64 and run setup.exe.

Dave_Z
Level 3
On the server doing the backups I'm running: Version 10.1 Rev. 5629.  There's no "Setup.exe" in the RANT64 folder that I've copied to the 64-bit server.  Only "instmsiw.exe" and when I double-click from the 64-bit server that I get this error: "Wrong OS or OS Version for application".

girish_chakki
Level 4
update service pack 4 and do the installation

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Do you have a copy of Veritas 10d Administrator Guide? Two ways on how to install it can be found there.

The installation program for the 64-bit Remote Agent is separate from the Backup Exec installation program. In addition, the 64-bit Remote Agent installation process differs from the 32-bit Remote Agent installation process. The 64-bit Remote Agent can only be installed locally or via a mapped drive. A Remote Agent serial number is not required during the installation of the 64-bit Remote Agent. However, you must enter a Remote Agent serial number on the media server.

Reference: Veritas Backup Exec Administrator Guide 10d.

If you need assistance for installation procedure if you don't have 10d admin guide. Kindly inform me.

thanks

girish_chakki
Level 4
dear dave,

please refer the kb article below to resolve the issue:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280701.htm

please update........if it works mark this as solution.

achootwo
Level 2
I have a similar situation. I got as far as this post using the knowledgebase. I have the remote agent installed on the 64bit machine, but now I cannot figure out how to register a serial number for the remote agent. Does anyone know?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From the Console

Tools\Install Remote Agents

See page 38 of the Adfmin Guide

achootwo
Level 2
Ken,

Page 38 in my admin guide is about sharepoint portal. The issue that I am having is that I could not push the installation to a 64 bit server, I had to install it manually on the 64 bit server. When you do this it does not ask for a serial number. When I try to use the tools from the server to assign a serial number, it tells me that remote installations to 64 bit computers is not supported.

Thanks,
Dan

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

I may have a v10 guide and you have a v10d guide or vice versa

The v10d SCL that I have dated 10 May 2007 says that W2K3-64Bit on x86 or Itanium processors is supported for the Remote Agent.  Only 32Bit was supported for media servers

Any way

either share out or take the install CD to the 64Bit server.  Drill down to Agents\64-Bit (it think - should be obvious) and run the install locally on that server

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Please note that Backup Exec 10d base version had issues with installable for Remote Agent 64 bit version. Hence at least hotfix 1 needs to be applied on the media server and then the RAWS64EX folder can be used to install remote Agent on th eremote machine.

Here's the document that explains the situation:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/280701

Thanks