cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec keeps saying the cleaning tape is expired for a newly cleaning tape

doa82veritas
Level 3

hello,

Our backupExec keeps saying that the cleaning tape is expired and the cleaning job is requested at every backup job.

We have assigned a slot on the backupexec for the cleaing tape. On our tape Library (DELL ML6000) we don't see the cleaning tape and how to assign it, if needed.

What it could be the problem?

Thank you very much in advance,

regards

Dol82

8 REPLIES 8

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Do you have a bar code on your cleaning tape?  What is the bar code?

Do you see that cleaning tape and bar code in the ML6000 web interface?

Do you see that tape and bar code in BE, in the "Cleaning media" media set?  Under the details/properties of that cartridge, what does BE show for the "number of cleanings" and "maximum cleaning count"?

Thank you for your reply!

On BackupExec there’s «CLN001 » on slot 1.

On the tape library there’s «CLN001 » too, on slot 0,1,1, but I cannot see/assign it as "cleaning tape".

On BE media sets I can see the tape and respective label “CLN001” as the cleaning tape of BackupExec:

I can see indeed 216 cleanings for this tape.

Please see attached screenshots.

Somehow the drive keeps asking to be cleaned. Not understanding why.

regards and thanks in advance!

doa82

It seems that on the tape library if there's no cleaning tape configured the autoClean is disabled:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/546428/Dell-Powervault-Ml6010.html?page=38

So i suppose it's th BE that manages when the drive must be cleaned.

Could it be the drive that has some issue?

regards

doa82

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: I can see indeed 216 cleanings for this tape.

When that number (216) is higher than "maximum cleaning count", then BE will complain that the cartridge is expired.  216 sounds like a lot to me, so I believe that cartridge is considered expired, at least by BE

@doa82veritas wrote:

On BackupExec there’s «CLN001 » on slot 1.

On the tape library there’s «CLN001 » too, on slot 0,1,1, but I cannot see/assign it as "cleaning tape".

So, BE and the ML6000 both agree that there is a cleaning cartridge visible.  The cleaning tape doesn't need to be "assigned" in the ML6000 other than to get it into one of the partitions (aka logical libraries).  I assume that the cleaning cartridge is in a valid partition, since BE can see it via a scan job in BE.  In BE, you should set slot 1 as a cleaning slot (check the properties of the SLOT, not the cartridge).  That will prevent slot 1 from getting included in any inventory jobs and wasting cleaning cycles.

@doa82veritas wrote:

It seems that on the tape library if there's no cleaning tape configured the autoClean is disabled:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/546428/Dell-Powervault-Ml6010.html?page=38

So i suppose it's th BE that manages when the drive must be cleaned.

Could it be the drive that has some issue?

Backup Exec's tech support position has been that they prefer to let BE manage the cleanings and to NOT use any AutoClean feature of the various libraries.  When you let the library manage the cleaning, ithe cleanings don't show up in BE and management become confusing.

@doa82veritas wrote:

Please see attached screenshots.

Somehow the drive keeps asking to be cleaned. Not understanding why.

Sorry, screenshots should be gif, jpg or png format.  I don't open docx due to macros, etc.

If the drive keeps asking to be cleaned, now you are finally getting to the root of the problem.  I am assuming that your ML6000 library has IBM LTO drives, so I would start with the IBM (or Dell) diagnostic tools.  IBM calls their tool ITDT.

It could be that the tape drive has an issue.  It appears that the issue will not go away by repeated cleanings.  Therefore I suspect the tape drive will need repairing or replacing.  What is the generation & age of the tape drive?  But it also depends upon the usage and environment of the tape drive.

It could also be that the drive is not actually getting cleaned.  When you think that a cleaning is happening, watch the ML6000, either from the web interface or at the library itself.  If a cleaning tape is put into the drive, that is all that can be done by you.  The tape drives take the cleaning cartridge and do what they want with that cartridge, meaning it is out of control of BE or the ML6000 until the tape drive ejects the cleaning tape.  If a known (relatively) new cleaning tape is being put into the tape drive, there isn't much more you can do without swapping the tape drive.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do not inventory a cleaning tape.  Each inventory is counted as a cleaning job.  Use scan instead.

Thank Larry,

We have a drive IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 (LTO4) Firmware: C7QH, Sled boot version 430A.GU001, Sled App version 816Q.GU004 with serial numbers: P-SN: 1320002012 L-SN: F097F02004.

here's our tape library: https://www.dell.com/support/home/ch/fr/chbsdt1/product-support/servicetag/0-Nk91MzdyRFhEQzVqc3hpeUJ...

I'l chec with the ITDT tool and let you know.

Maybe also trying to use an IBM cleaning tape can help?

regards

doa82

Thanks pkh,

As Larry said:

"In BE, you should set slot 1 as a cleaning slot (check the properties of the SLOT, not the cartridge). That will prevent slot 1 from getting included in any inventory jobs and wasting cleaning cycles."

So we should be ok since tape is assigned to slot 1.

regards,

doa82

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@doa82veritas wrote:

Thank Larry,

We have a drive IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 (LTO4) Firmware: C7QH, Sled boot version 430A.GU001, Sled App version 816Q.GU004 with serial numbers: P-SN: 1320002012 L-SN: F097F02004.

here's our tape library: https://www.dell.com/support/home/ch/fr/chbsdt1/product-support/servicetag/0-Nk91MzdyRFhEQzVqc3hpeUJ...

I'l chec with the ITDT tool and let you know.

Maybe also trying to use an IBM cleaning tape can help?

A Gen 4 LTO drive is likely from 2007-2009, so you got a lot of years out of it.  I would suggest checking on the Dell web site to make sure that you are on the latest firmware for both the library and the tape drive.  The ML6000 can use more than one tape drive, so maybe you can add a drive to your library, either as a workaround or to help diagnose.  Possibly even a used LTO4 drive?  But, I think you have to make sure it is a Dell version of the drive or sled to be compatible, not just the regular IBM version of the tape drive or sled.

It should not matter what brand of cleaning cartridge you are using, as I believe they are all "supposed" to be to the same standards.  But one nevers knows, so it couldn't hurt to try.