cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec over writting first backup

Geebee12
Level 3

I have recently been having problems with BE 11d. I was backing up my complete C: drive on one job, and my E: drive on a second job thereafter. This is done every week night on B2D to different folders, one being "backup" and the other being Veritas\B2D.  My C: job started failing and I soon found that there was an alert cancelling the backup at 21.00 every night. I change the C: backup job to run after the E: job, and started the E: job at 21.10.

While trying to fix the problem. I  changing settings and lost track of what I had changed. I now find that E: backs up succesfully to Veritas\B2D, and then C: backs up over E: and is not backing up to the "backup" folder.

1. How do I specify which folder each job must back up to ?

2. How can I find out what alert is causing the backup to fail if I start running it before 21.00 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Geebee12
Level 3

Hi Craig

I will try set up 2 new jobs and if I have problems, I will get back to you.

Thank you for all your help !!!!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Open your backup jobs and point each to their respective B2D folder you have created.

2. Check your job log to see where it is failing which will allow you to respond accordingly.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the overwrite protection settiings (media set and overall media management properties) and make sure you have appropriate settings

Bear in mind that when the job for C: originally ran first it probably started as an Overwrite with the job for E: starting as an append. Now you have made E: start first, if C: is still set to overwrite in conjuction with bad overwrite protection settings your description could easily happen. - So check the start settings in both jobs as well.

Geebee12
Level 3

Hi Craig

I have been through all the tabs and cannot find where to point the backup to a folder. I can only see what media. 

I have checked the job logs and it only says that an alert is cancelling the backup. I have also been to Windows Events viewer and cannot find what is happening at 21.00 that is causing the alert.

Hi Colin

It was set to overwrite as they were backing up to different folders. I have changed it to "append, and overwrite if no appendable media available" but I am not sure what will happen to the second backup job if it runs out of disk space.

CraigV

...that's not right...can you post a screenshot/s of your job setup please?

Thanks!

Geebee12
Level 3

CraigV

...why not have 2 x B2D folders on your external drive and target each job to its respective folder?

What might be happening here is that since both jobs target the same folder with the same media set you're getting your overwrite issue.

Also, NEVER append to backup-to-disk media...it should be overwrite.

So do the following:

1. Create 2 x new B2D folders on your external drives (call it C Drive Backup / E Drive Backup - or something else).

2. Change the job setup to point to each 1 of these folders.

3. Run your jobs.

Thanks!

Geebee12
Level 3

C was originally set up to back up to a folder called "Backup" and it was set to overwrite

E was set to backup to Veritas\B2D and also overwrite.

I do not know what changed

The problem is we only have 1 drive in at a time and both jobs back up at night to that drive so therefore we cannot do as suggested.

CraigV

Um, yes you can. You can have as many B2D folders on a drive as you want. You're going to backup 2 drives at the same time to 2 separate targets...

Geebee12
Level 3

How will the job know which B2D it needs to back up to and where do I set the folder name ?

CraigV

...sorry for not coming back to this...

1. B2D gets created under the Devices tab within BE where you can give it a name;

2. On your backup job...Destination --> Device and Media --> (under Device) drop down and select the relevant B2D name.

Thanks!

Geebee12
Level 3

I think we are misunderstanding each other.

On our server, we have a C: drive and a E: drive.

We were backing them both up one after the other, to one external hard drive L:

E: was being backed up  L:\Veritas\B2D

C: was being backed up to L:\Backup.

Both jobs are pointing to the correct folders so I dont understand why the C:\ job would write to Veritas\B2D ?

As mentioned, I have created a new job backing everything up in one job and it works, but would still like to resolve the problem. I did send images of the job set up.

CraigV

...I don't think I am misunderstanding you at all...the only reason why a job backs up to another B2D is if it is changed to that specific folder. It has to be done manually.

Geebee12
Level 3

How do I change it back as I cannot find where to enter the folder destination. I can only enter the drive destination

CraigV

...go into the job that is backing up to the incorrect folder...

Then: Device and Media --> Device --> Drop down to the B2D you want it to backup too...

Geebee12
Level 3

That's what I've done.  It shows "Backup to disk folders". When I go to "Devices" - Removable B2D folder- USB B2D folders,  it shows the path as L: 

I cannot find anywhere to specify what folder to back up to on L:

CraigV

...so then do these 2 things:

1. Make sure those B2D folders exist physically through Windows Explorer on the L:\ drive;

2. In BE, go to Devices and see if the 2 B2D folders are also listed there...

Chances are that they don't show in either of them, or both. In which case if deleted from Windows, you need to recreate them and rerun your backups to them...all the data is lost unless you duplicated those backups to tape or another B2D elsewhere.

Thanks!

Geebee12
Level 3

Both folders are definitely on the L: drive

There is only 1 B2D folder. We originally backed up to a LTO tape drive (Stand alone drives) which stopped working well over 1 year ago.

We created "Removable B2D folders" which is what both my jobs use.

I tried creating a new one called "B2D folder 1" and wrote a new job but this also failed.

I am sending a screen shot as well.

CraigV

...but your original jobs will fail because L:\Veritas\B2D and L:\Backup do not exist as B2Ds in BE...this is your original problem.

Your tape drive is also offline, but that's most likely besides the point...what error are you getting?

Geebee12
Level 3

Out tape drive stopped working well over a year ago and thats when we went to USB external B2D.

I know L:\VERITAS\B2D and L:\Backup do not exist as B2Ds in BE, but they were working until the first job (C: backup) we being interupted at 21.00 and it would fail. I changed the times so E: would back up at 21.10 and C: there-after and thats when my problems started. I do not know how to point the B2D to those folders on the backup drives.